Rummanah Aasi
  I remember when I read my first book by Roald Dahl. I was in the fifth grade when I came across Matilda. My school librarian, Mrs. Katlubiack, recommended the book to me. I was astonished to read a book where a child is much more mature and smarter than her scheming parents. Needless to say, Dahl had captured my attention and imagination. I was recently going through my shelves and came across The BFG. Feeling a bit nostalgic, I picked it up to read.

Description: Sophie is an eight-year-old orphan. One night she is kidnapped by The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) and taken to Giantland, where she learns all about the giants-including their diet. Sophie and the BFG strike up a friendship and a plan to get rid of all the evil giants. The only thing they need is the help of the Queen of England, but will the Queen believe them?

Review: The BFG is a great read and an adorable book. Dahl has once again crated a character who is not only funny but sweet. The BFG has his own language, because he taught himself how to speak. His language is so funny and quirky that I laughed out loud several times while reading this book. Sophie is a precocious eight year old who not only understands the BFG, but devises a great plan to get rid of the evil giants. Once again, the child is a leading character who essentially helps to save the day. Although Sophie's plan might be a little to easy if seen through the adult eyes, but to children who are afraid of giants lurking in their rooms it is quite reassuring. The BFG would be a great book to read aloud to either a classroom or to your kids. It's quite possibly my second favorite Roald Dahl book. 

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: None.

If you like this book, try: Matilda by Roald Dahl
3 Responses
  1. Twimom227 Says:

    Roald Dahl has to be one of the best children's authors around! I think my favorites are: Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Magic Finger


  2. Ms. Dhruv Says:

    Matilda is probably my all time favorite book. Probably since I HEART reading, just like Matilda, AND would have loved to have magical powers =) I haven't read The BFG since probably 10 years old or so, maybe I should try it again. My other fave Dahl is George and the Marvelous Medicine (I have a wacky grandmother too!) Try it :o)


  3. @Ms. Dhruv: I never heard of "George and the Marvelous Medicine". I'll add it to my to be read list. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

    @Twimom: I agree! I love his imagination and stories. :)


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails