Rummanah Aasi
  I had a very strong feeling that I was going to love the Kate Daniels series after I finished the first chapter of Magic Bites, the first novel in the series. I knew there were currently only four books out for the series and that I had to pace myself. Pacing myself was easier said than done. After I finished each book, I fell in love with the characters and the fantastic world that Ilona Andrews created and I didn't want to leave. I recently finished the fourth book, Magic Bleeds, which is my current favorite out of the series so far and now I have wait 5 months for the next installment.The waiting is going to be brutal.

Description: Kate Daniels is an employee for the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid, which is really a fancy way of saying she cleans up paranormal problems that plague Atlanta. Her latest assignment is to track a carrier of a plague which is meant to kill all of the shape-shifters of Atlanta. With the help of Curran, Lord of the Beast and the thorn in Kate's side, Kate uncovers clues about who the villain is and begins to fear they might be related.

Review: The Kate Daniels series is in my top ten favorite of adult books that I've read this year. This series is filled with non-stop action, humor, mystery, magic, and fabulous characters. With each book we are introduced to complex villains and dire scenarios. We also see new layers of our characters. After my jaw dropped numerous times with world shattering information surrounding Kate's mysterious parentage presented in Magic Strikes, I didn't really know what other critical information will be revealed or how the husband and wife team could top themselves. I did high expectations for Magic Bleeds and it easily exceeded all of them.
  Kate Daniels has become one of my favorite heroines and I would really want to be her best friend. Although she has a tough exterior, wicked physical strength, and fighting abilities, she also has a soft side and vulnerability. Through the first three books, we watch Kate develop relationships with those she cares about even though she has been taught and believed that relationships will only make her weaker and weakness will only get her killed. Torn between her love and loyalty for those she loves and the arduous destiny that lies ahead of her, Kate must decide which is more important. Will she run away from her fears and hide or will she confront them? Thus is the main crux of Magic Bleeds. Like Kate, Curran also has his shares of difficulties and does not go unscathed in this book either.
  Readers, like me, who loved watching the dangerous dance between Kate and Curran will find  the answer to the question we all are dying to know: Will they or won't they get together? Their similar personalities, flaws and strengths, mirror one another and this is the main reason why I enjoy observing their interactions. I swear I fall more in love with Curran after finishing each book, but this book cemented my feelings for him and I bet yours will too.
  Although Magic Bleeds can be read as a stand alone, I wouldn't recommend doing so. Readers who have not read the previous books will miss out on the story arc as well as not appreciate Kate's character growth and her connections with other characters. Each book builds upon one another and, I promise, won't disappoint you. Rarely do I want to reread a book as soon as I finish the last page, but I wanted to do so with Magic Bleeds.
  It saddens me that I have to wait until May 31, 2011 to read Magic Slays, the next book, but I will definitely be getting my own personal copy of this series and hopefully reread them before it comes out. Even though there is a snippet of the prologue in Magic Slays available on the author's website, I refuse to read it because I hate being teased and tortured not having the book in my hands. The Kate Daniel series is filled with non-stop action, humor, romance, magic, and mystery. If you haven't read this series yet, what are you waiting for?!

Rating: 5 stars

Words of Caution: There is strong language and strong violence in the book. There is also some sex. Due to these precautions, I would recommend this title for adults only.

If you like this book try: Magic Slays (Kate Daniels #5) available May 2011, Fray by Joss Whedon, Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, Graceling by Kristin Cashore, Paranormalcy by Kiersten White, Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
3 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    YAY YAY YAY! I adore Kate and Curran, and I could read this book again and again. The ending made me so happy and I can't wait for the next book to see how they deal with actually being in a relationship as opposed to merely flirting. Fabulous review, I'm so glad you're enjoying this series as well!

    To answer your question about Sapphique, I would say the lack of answers was most disappointing, I don't need everything spelled out, but I few more of the why's being answered would have helped my overall enjoyment:)


  2. I love Kate and Curran too! There were parts that made me teary and I loved the ending. I'm just curious how it will all work out!


  3. Jennifer Says:

    I think I've read this book at least 12 times, it's a nice fall back book for me. The Kate Daniels series was actually the first urban fantasy book I read and I've been in love with her ever since. :)


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails