Rummanah Aasi

 It's Tuesday and time for another list for the weekly Top Ten Tuesday meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish! The purpose of this weekly meme is to share our lists with people who love to read and to engage with fellow bloggers. Today's topic is books that I resolve to read in 2011. I always have good intentions of reading a book, especially when it has been constantly brought up in discussion. A lot of the books that I listed below have been on my shelves for several years. For some, I wasn't in the right mood to read them and for others, I really don't have an excuse. I hope to finally read them and use them for my Off the Shelve Reading Challenge this year. 

Top 10 Books I Resolve to Read in 2011 (in no particualr order):


    The Time Travler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger- I can not tell you how many times I have heard my girlfriends gush and talk about this book. I know that it's a love story featuring a time traveling librarian and it is set in Chicago. All of the reasons why I would love this book. The only reason why I have been hesitant to read it is because almost all of my girlfriends cried a lot while reading it. I am going to get a box of tissues just in case I'll get emotional and finally read it.   

    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides- I have read glowing reviews for this book and it has been recommended to me several times when I was in high school and in college. Again, I purchased this from a used public library book sale and it has sat on my shelve since then. I have no excuse why I didn't read this one.

    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens- I was an English major in college and I'm ashamed to say that I haven't read a full Charles Dickens novel yet. I've tried Great Expectations several times and have failed to pass page 10 without falling asleep at the exact same paragraph. I'm hoping that the setting of the French Revolution will keep me awake this time and finish one book by Dickens for my Victorian Literature Reading Challenge.

    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee- I have no idea why I haven't read this book yet. Surprisingly, I never had to read it for middle school, high school, or college. I had intended to read it for Banned Books Week last year, but ran out of time. I'm determined to read it this year. 

    The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper-  This series was constantly checked out at the elementary school where I student taught 2 years ago. The series has been critically acclaimed and on several people's favorites for children's fantasy books. I happened to find and bought all of the books at a used public library book sale last fall.

    Honey, Baby, Sweetheart by Deb Caletti- This book has been recommended to me repeatedly, especially after I finished any book by Sarah Dessen. I bought this title at a while ago and it has sat on my shelve for several years.

     
    The Girl in the Tangerine Scarf by Mohja Kahf- My dad recommended this title to me and borrowed his colleague's copy for me to read. Since then, it has been sitting on my shelve. My dad and I don't see eye to eye on books. He is more of the scholarly, philosophy mind set where as I tend to drift towards "novels" (i.e. books that have a story, characters, etc) as he calls them. I've been afraid that this was one would go right over my head, but the more I read it I realize that it actually isn't bad. I'll be reading this for my Middle Eastern Reading Challenge for this year.
    Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead- I've been wanting to read this series for quite some time. I patiently waited until this series was complete (yes, I know there is a spin off series), because I was tired of keeping track of yet another series. Now, I'll finally get to know a girl named Rose, the mysterious Dimitri, and everything else in between.

    Midnighters series by Scott Westerfeld- I loved Westerfeld's other books, the Uglies series and his steampunk novel, and I'm not sure why I haven't picked this series up. Once again, I purchased them at a book fair. Is it just me or am I seeing a trend of buying books and then having them sit on my shelves for no good reason?

    Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut- My best friend from college and I discovered the brilliance of Kurt Vonnegut in of our English classes. We both read and loved Slaughter House Five and Cat's Cradle. Her favorite Vonnegut book is Mother Night, which I haven't read but wanted to do so for a really long time. Hopefully, this will be the year when I read it.
10 Responses
  1. Daisy Says:

    I am one of those who wasn't that impressed by The Time Traveller's Wife, mostly because I wanted to kick Clare's butt into getting a life. But a lot of people enjoy it, I hope you will too.

    I'm hoping to get to the Vampire Academy series also this year!


  2. danya Says:

    Wow, you haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird yet? I'm surprised it wasn't assigned reading in high school (it was for me!) And good luck on your new attempt at Charles Dickens - the only Dickens I've successfully gotten through was A Christmas Carol, and does that really count? :D I may take another stab at Little Dorrit (I don't think I could handle something like Great Expectations) but I'm not holding out too much hope, lol.

    And I may be trying the Vampire Academy series this year. I'm not huge on vampires but I just keep hearing so many good things about it.


  3. Jenni Elyse Says:

    To Kill a Mockingbird is on my list this year too. I can't wait to talk to you about it.

    I read The Time Traveler's Wife a couple of years ago. I loved the concept of the story, but the ending and a few other things bugged me. I hope you enjoy it. I look forward to your review.


  4. Just read To Kill A Mockingbird last summer for the first time. Somehow I missed out on that one during my education too. It's worth the time. Also, Vampire Academy is on my list for this year. I've heard way too many great things about that series.

    Good luck completing your list!


  5. Daisy: My said girlfriends and I have similar book tastes, so I'm also hoping that I will like it too.

    Danya: Yeah, it's so sad! I determined to finish "A Tale of Two Cities".

    Jenni: Can't wait to talk to you about the books too!

    Annette: Thank you! I've heard great things about Vampire Academy too, which makes me curious. :)


  6. Anonymous Says:

    Great list! I've read The Time Traveler's Wife, Middlesex and To Kill A Mockingbird and really enjoyed all 3 of them.


  7. Liz Says:

    I loved The Time Traveler's Wife (and yes, I cried like a baby, but it was worth it) & the Vampire Academy series! Such great books!

    I have To Kill a Mockingbird on my list as well. It's been too long since I've read it, & I know I didn't appreciate it when I was in high school.


  8. Jenny Says:

    Yay Vampire Academy! I can't wait to see what you think of it Rummanah! I think that series gets better as it goes so if you're on the fence with it, give book 2 a shot:)


  9. BookQuoter Says:

    I will be looking forward to see how you like these books. I love Time Traveler's wife, To Kill a Mockingbird and Middlesex.

    I plan to read A Tale of Two cities this year too!


  10. 1girl2manybooks: Thanks! I'm looking forward to these reads.

    Liz: That's what I keep hearing!

    Jenny: Really excited for it! I just have to finish my huge pile right now to get to it!

    BookQuoter: Wish me luck with Dickens.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails