Rummanah Aasi
  One of my reading goals this year to diversify my graphic novel/manga reads. I normally read for teens since that is the target audience I spend the most time with at work. This year I'm digging a little more deeper into the Children's Department at my library. Today I'll be reviewing the first four volumes of Chi's Sweet Home by Kanata Konami.

Description (from publisher): Chi is a mischievous newborn kitten who, while on a leisurely stroll with her family, finds herself lost. Separated from the warmth and protection of her mother she begins feeling distraught. Overcome with loneliness she breaks into tears in a large urban park meadow but is suddenly rescued by a young boy named Yohei and his mother. The kitty is then quickly and quietly whisked away into the warm and inviting Yamada family apartment...where pets are strictly not permitted.

Review: Incredibly adorable and sweet, there is no doubt that this manga series will worm into the reader's heart. Chi is a kitten that became lost from her mother. She doesn't know what she will do, and faints in a park. A small boy, Yohei, finds her. His parents decide that they can not just leave the poor kitten alone, and take her home with them. What follows in the first four novels is watching Chi learn how to adapt living in a house with humans slowly forgetting about her mother due to her happiness with her new home. Each volume tackles the daily tasks of taking care of a pet: training the pet to eat pet food and not things around the house, making friends with other neighbors pets, being taken to the veterinarian, etc.
  Chi's Sweet Home was my first introduction to manga for kids and to pet manga. The entire series is written from Chi's perspective. Unlike true Japanese mange, this novel reads from left to right in the traditional American manner, which makes it a nice introduction to manga for young readers. The text is simple and the illustrations are water colored which appeal to the eye and has a calming effect. Chi's lisp is perfectly adorable and reminded me of all the cute things I've seen on Lolcats and I Can Has Cheeseburger websites. The artwork adds expression to the words of the characters by giving them extremely expressive eyes and body movements. This is a great series to read for those wanting to try manga but not sure where to start.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Words of Caution: None. Recommended for Grades 1 and up.

If you like this book try:  Chi's Sweet Home Vol. 5 by Kanata Konami, Dewey the Library Cat by Vicki Myron, Puss in Boots by Malcolm Arthur


Do you have a question about manga? All you have to do is simply fill out this simple form. The form is completely confidential so please don't feel shy in submitting a question and remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

5 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    Oh my gosh look at those giant sad eyes! Well, all manga characters seem to have enormous eyes, but it works especially well with this kitty, I just want to scoop her up and carry her around with me:) Sounds like a really cute story, thanks for sharing Rummanah!


  2. Ok can I say, the kitty is adorable on the cover and what is not to love about an adorable lost kitten finding a home. Watercolor illustrations sound amazing, I will definitely be looking into a copy for my daughter :)


  3. Chi sounds perfect for my little cousins!! I so have to put that on my pressie list!


  4. Lauren M Says:

    Okay, after seeing that cover, I totally had to google the name of this book. Lo and behold, there are tons of cat images! (Which for me, is heaven!) Chi's Sweet Home sounds like such a sweet book. Thanks for the review! :)
    - Lauren


  5. This series sounds so cute. I love cats and the kitten on the cover ... aww.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails