Rummanah Aasi
I avoid books written by celebrities for various reasons. Reading about their terrible childhood or vying with others about how many names they can drop in a sentence is not exactly how I want to spend my limited free time nowadays. I did make an exception to this unwritten rule with Tina Fey's Bossypants after several people told me that I had to read the book. After a long delay, I took a chance and actually really enjoyed it.

Description: From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon, comedian Tina Fey reveals all, and proves that you're no one until someone calls you bossy.

Review: Bossypants straddles the line between memoir and humorist essay. Fey, in her trademark self depreciating humor and astute observations, hilariously covers her childhood and coming-of-age; time at Chicago's Second City; years at Saturday Night Live (SNL) as a writer and performer; development of 30 Rock; and her ubiquitous role as Sarah Palin. She doesn't flinch nor cover up the less glamorous aspect of her life such as having a hard time finding a job just so she can have enough money to pay for improv classes. Along the way, she also demystifies the celebrity particularly the required photo shoot. My favorite part of the book, however, is Fey's input on women in the workforce and in comedy. Many people think that Fey's impression of Sarah Palin was funny because of the uncanny resemblance and her mannerisms, but few would realize how the sketches about feminism would go undetected.
 Sure Bossypants is a funny book, but I was surprised how much depth lied within the jokes. Fey's comedic timing is perfect. I laughed out loud constantly, but also paused to think too. I'd definitely recommend picking this one up if you're in a reading funk or in a mood for a smart, funny book where a celebrity can actually write and is articulate. 

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: Strong language and some crude humor throughout the book. Recommended for Grades 9 and up.

If you like this book try: Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson, Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
5 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    I adore Tina Fey and I've been wanting to read this even though it's outside my normal genres:) Glad to see it doesn't disappoint and I'm so glad to know there's more depth than one might expect initially. I will say the giant male arms on the cover freak me out a bit though:)


  2. I've been curious about this book for a long while now, but I've been putting it off since I don't really read memoirs. But I'm liking the sound of this one, it seems to carry more depth than I expected. I wonder if I could find it at my library on audiobook.


  3. I read this last year and I don't tend to read celebrity books. I did enjoy this one, though. I especially loved the comic strip drawings. Overall it was a funny and enjoyable read.


  4. I'm so glad you reviewed this one! I've wondered if it was worth it to take a chance. I'm not an SNL watcher nor do I watch 30Rock (I know) but I've heard good things about this one. Still, it's a celebrity book and I had the same misgivings as you did. I might try it since you seemed to like it. Far into the future of course. There are a lot of other books on my TBR. But if I get stuck this really would be a totally different book for me. Thanks for the great review. I'd probably not have looked for the feminist points in it before you mentioned it. Now I will.

    Heather


  5. Rummanah, I avoid books by celebrities but Bossypants is one I think I'd make an exception for too. I love watching Tina Fey on Youtube but it seems like her writing is pretty good as well.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails