Rummanah Aasi
Just a quick note: I will be on vacation when this review posts. I may not or may not have internet access during vacation, but I will play catch-up with your blogs and comments when I get back. 

  I'm really enjoying the Mercy Thompson spin-off series, Alpha and Omega by Patricia Briggs. While it's hard not to compare these two series together, the Alpha and Omega series explores the aspect of romantic relationships particularly of the main pair, Charles and Anna, much more than the paranormal politics in the Mercy books. I do highly recommend reading both series.


Description: Anna Latham didn’t know how complicated life could be until she became a werewolf. And until she was mated to Charles Cornick, the son- and enforcer- of Bran, the leader of the North American werewolves, she didn’t know how dangerous it could be either.
Anna and Charles have just been enlisted to attend a summit to present Bran’s controversial proposition: that the wolves should finally reveal themselves to humans. But the most feared Alpha in Europe is dead set against the plan- and it seems like someone else might be too. When Anna is attacked by vampires using pack magic, the kind of power only werewolves should be able to draw on, Charles and Anna must combine their talents to hunt down whoever is behind it all- or risk losing everything.

Review:
Hunting Ground takes place a month after Cry Wolf. Charles and Anna are officially married as they accepted their wolves counterparts to be mated. Though they have a mating bond, their relationship needs work as both characters learn to trust one another and themselves. As I mentioned in my review of Cry Wolf, I love that Anna's and Charle's relationship is a work in progress. Despite them being paranormal creatures, their relationship makes them more human and familiar. Briggs does a great job in demonstrating how difficult it is for Anna and Charles to open themselves up as we get to be in both Anna’s and Charles’ heads and experience their doubts, fears and deep need for one another. Their ability to see one another for what they truly are, is what makes their relationship so special.
  I know many readers were a bit put off by the plot in Cry Wolf, but it didn't bother me as I was so entranced by the characters. Unlike many readers who enjoyed the mystery part of Hunting Ground, I found myself a bit annoyed with it. I thought Briggs took much time to introduce us to many different international werewolf packs mentioned in the book. While I did find a few of them piqued my interest, I got a little bored. I also thought the villain and the good guys were apparent to me in the book as well as the incorporation of Arthurian lore, while an interesting angle, appeared to be a bit forced. Despite these issues, I did enjoy the book and I absolutely love the idea of Anna, who appears to be fragile like the book covers indicate, is completely the opposite and continually saves the day with staying true to herself. She, like her mate, is a force of nature. I’m anxiously awaiting the third novel, Fair Game, which seems to be most people's favorite book of the series thus far.
 

Rating: 3.5 stars

Words of Caution: There is some language, strong violence, and suggestions of sex in the book. Recommended for mature teens and adults only.

If you like this book try: Fair Game by Patricia Briggs (Alpha and Omega #3), Nightshade series by Andrea Cremer, Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, Bitten by Kelley Armstrong

2 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    I don't remember too much about this one, I read it so long ago, but I do love Charles and Anna. Just like you said, they feel very real despite the fact that they're werewolves, so it's easy to connect with them. I still need to read book 3, have you read it yet Rummanah?


  2. Rubita Says:

    Fair Game is a pretty awesome installment in this series. I think, any faults that you may find with Hunting Ground won't be an issue with that one.

    That being said, it's been a while since I read the first two books in the Alpha & Omega series. I know that I loved them because they give us a chance to see another side of Bran. But, I also like the part that you mentioned--Anna and Charles may be mated, but that doesn't mean they really know each other yet. It's an interesting exploration on the mating concept so prevalent in werewolf fiction.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails