Rummanah Aasi
  I listed Magicalamity on my reading recommendations for Spring Break this year. Magicalamity reads like a Pixar movie that is full of adventure, mystery, humor, and as the title suggests, magic.

Description: Tom is in shock. He's just discovered that his dad is an escaped fairy on the run. And that he must trust his life to three dangerous fairy godmothers he's never met. Two of them are hardened criminals, and one falls out of the window when she tries to fly . . . Will their mad magic be enough to help Tom rescue his dad from the clutches of some killer fairies?

Review: Magicalamity is a fun filled fantasy that has spies, secret organizations, fairy godmothers, flying carpets, and of course magic. Tom Harding is under the mistaken impression that he is a normal young boy until his parents disappear and he finds a bumbling fairy in his kitchen, making eggs for breakfast. It turns out that she is one of his three fairy godmothers, who answered his father's call for help. His father is a fairy who is arrested for attempted murder and is in mortal danger, his mother has been hidden in a jar of sun-dried tomatoes, and Tom is actually a demisprite, a half fairy who is an abomination in the fairy kingdom. Despite all this confusing introduction to the news, it is clear to Tom that he will have to save his parents from the fury of the ruling Falconer family. With the help of his fairy godmothers and Pindar, a renegade Falconer, he uses his determination, courage, and clear-sightedness to bring the story to a satisfying resolution. The characters are lively and the plot quickly moves in short chapters. I couldn't help but chuck at the sly humor and clever asides the author uses such as the Realm Wide Web with the Abracadabra browser. Your readers, both boys and girls, looking for a fun book to read over the summer should definitely pick this one up.

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: There is some adult humor and themes that children may not understand. Recommended for Grades 4 and up.

If you like this book try: Ordinary Magic by Caitlen Rubino-Bradway
6 Responses
  1. This is a new one for me. I can imagine the younger crowd will really enjoy it. Thanks for the great review.


  2. Jenny Says:

    This sounds so cute Rummanah! I'm curious to see how his mother is going to get out of the jar of sun-dried tomatoes:):)


  3. Anonymous Says:

    Aww this sounds like such a fun read! I might even enjoy it even though I'm an adult because it sounds clever and funny and I have never met a Pixar film I couldn't watch happily. :-) Great review!


  4. This sounds like a really fun read. I am adding this to my kids pin board. The mother trapped in a jar of sundries tomatoes that is interesting!


  5. Small Review Says:

    I love the title of this book. The events you listed are right up my alley. Definitely going to keep an eye out for this one.


  6. Oh, the plot of this one sounds so fun! I've never heard of Magicalamity but it seems like it'll be something both my brother and I will enjoy. I'm going to see if it's available from the library. Thanks for the recommendation, Rummanah.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails