Rummanah Aasi
  Manga Mondays is a meme hosted by Alison at Alison Can Read where bloggers can share their passion for reading mangas. It's a great place to get new manga titles to try and to meet new bloggers. In Volume 15 of Boys Over Flowers, Tsukasa learns what retribution means and we meet Tsukushi's harshest enemy yet!

Description: Junpei has promised to protect Tsukushi and always be there for her. His promise comes just in time, since Tsukushi has been given another of the infamous "red slips," the mark of someone targeted for abuse. Meanwhile, Akira and Sojiro are desperately looking for Tsukasa, who has been gone for days. It turns out that Junpei harbors a terrible grudge against Tsukasa and is using Tsukushi as bait to get him! This has shockingly violent results. Later Tsukushi gets dressed up and attends Tsukasa's birthday party. Little does she realize the implications that attendance has!

Review: One of the main themes of Boys Over Flowers has been bullying. For most of the series thus far, those who are less well off have been the victims of bullying; however, things change when Tsukasa becomes the victim and like the cliche goes, gets a taste of his own medicine. I liked how the author does a role reversal and questions if getting revenge does make things even or just keeps the cycle of violence repeating. While I felt bad for Tsukasa as he gets severely injured, there was a small part of me felt that he needed to understand how others feel when he puts them down. Will Tsuskasa's violent behavior change? Yes and no. After reading up to volume 20, I do see him changing in that he begins to understand other people's feelings.
  In addition to the bullying plot, we are introduced to Tsukasa's intimidating and stone cold mother. Tsukasa's mother has her own plans and doesn't plan on using her children as pawns to get her way. I definitely see where Tsukasa gets his aggressiveness from and I wonder if the author is trying to make her readers understand why Tsukasa behaves the way he does, but interestingly enough she doesn't seem to condone his behavior. At the end of the volume, Tsukasa clearly states his feelings for Tsukushi in front of everyone at his birthday party and for once there is nothing to impede Tsukushi's understanding. How does Tsukushi exactly feel about Tsukasa? Is she willing to give a relationship with Tsuskasa a chance? I guess we'll have to find out in the next volume!

Rating: 4 stars 

Words of Caution: There is some strong violence and minor language. Recommended for teens and adults.

If you like this book try: Boys Over Flowers Vol 16 by Yoko Kamio, Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances by Masami Tsuda, Mars by Fuyumi Soryo
5 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    I love reading your Manga Monday's, they're a large part of the reason I started reading them myself. I've only done a few, but if you have time maybe you can look at mine :)
    newbielibrarians.blogspot.com


  2. I have so enjoyed this series through your eyes. It makes sense that a bully gets bullied. Many of them were bullied before. Great review!


  3. I like that this takes on bullying. Such an important topic in today's society!


  4. Anonymous Says:

    It doesn't always work when the bully gets the tables turned, but it sounds like Tsuskasa does take something positive away from the experience if he's considering people's feelings more. I don't read nearly enough graphic novels and manga and every time I see one of your Manga Monday reviews it reminds me I need to step outside my comfort zone because there are some great stories here. Awesome review!


  5. Hmm, interesting turn of events. At least Tsuskasa learns a little bit about other people.
    This is really a series I want to read, but I have so enjoyed your reviews of it.

    Heather


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails