Rummanah Aasi
The Everneath series by Brodi Ashton was my favorite YA paranormal romance reads that I've enjoyed in a really long time. While weaving familiar Greek myths into its overall plot arc, it brought a refreshing story to a genre that is usually filled with cookie-cutter character and plots. I have been looking forward to reading the series conclusion Evertrue after the jaw dropping ending to Everbound. While I was happy with the way the series ended, I didn't feel this was the strongest book in the series.

Description: Now that Nikki has rescued Jack, all she wants is to be with him and graduate high school. But Cole tricked Nikki into feeding off him, and she’s begun the process of turning into an Everliving herself... which means she must feed on a Forfeit soon — or die.
  Terrified for her survival, Nikki and Jack begin a desperate attempt to reverse the process using any means possible. Even Cole, who they expected to fight them at every turn, has become an unlikely ally — but how long can it last? Nikki needs to feed on Cole to survive, Cole needs Nikki to gain the throne in the Everneath, Jack needs Nikki because she is everything to him — and together, they must travel back to the Underworld to undo Nikki’s fate and make her mortal once more. But Cole isn’t the only one with plans for Nikki: the Queen has not forgotten Nikki’s treachery, and she wants her destroyed for good. Will Nikki be forced to spend eternity in the Underworld, or does she have what it takes to bring down the Everneath once and for all?


Review: Evertrue was a disappointing read for me. Unlike the previous two books in this series which I read compulsively, I found myself putting the last book down because I felt the pacing of the story and the characters that I've come to love felt off. Evertrue picks up two weeks after the events of Everbound and focuses on Niki's mission to destroy the Everneath. Thanks to Cole’s trickery, Niki is an Everliving and dying unless she feeds. Nikki is adamant that she would rather die than live at the expense of human forfeits, but her plans are in direct conflict with Cole’s, who still hopes to persuade her to join him in overthrowing the current queen of the Everneath and ruling it herself.
  One of the many things that bothered me about Evertrue is that the characters do a complete 360 degrees from their personalities. Cole, the trickster and possibly the most interesting villain I've read thus far, suddenly and conveniently turns vulnerable and nice in this book. I kept thinking this was a trick up Cole's sleeves and I was waiting for the "Gotcha! moment" when his evil plan was unveiled, but it didn't come and I was scratching my head in confusion. Also the lovable Jack, Niki's best friend and boyfriend, didn't get a chance to shine in this book. While we do get a few adorable flashbacks with him and Niki, Jack has morphed into the Hulk and he seems to be present only when his physical strength is needed. Niki, who I liked in the previous books, was also problematic for me. She wasn't nearly as strong as the other books but came off as a bit more whiny and accepted death, but I gave her some slack because, well, she is dying. 
  My other issue with Evertrue is that the plot was not strong enough. There were many lulls between the action scenes and problems were solved too easily. Even the showdown battle with the Queen was anticlimactic. Nonetheless there were things that I did enjoy about the book. I did like learning more about the Everneath and the author does a great job in bringing this mythological place alive. Overall, I found Evertrue the weakest book in this series and while I was happy with the end result, I felt it could have been written much stronger and better. I look forward to seeing what Ashton writes next.

Rating: 3 stars


Words of Caution: There is some language, disturbing images, and a scene of underage drinking. Recommended for Grades 9 and up.

If you like this book try: Radiant Darkness by Emily Whitman, Abandon by Meg Cabot, Goddess Test by Aimee Carter, Shadow Prince by Bree Despain
4 Responses
  1. It is always disappointing when you come to the end of a series you like and don't get what you want. I am totally not okay with characters doing an about face for no apparent reason. Sorry this didn't pan out. I still haven't picked up this series, and I don't know that I will now.


  2. I'm sad that this one wasn't a strong ending for the series. It's always disappointing when that happens. I think it's why I put off reading the last book in my series. I'm always afraid of being let down.


  3. Aylee Says:

    Ah man, you never want to hear that the finale of a beloved series was a disappointment. Well, could be worse I guess - you could have competed hated the ending like I did with Allegiant and Requiem. I do so love mythology, but I haven't decided if this is yet another series I want to commit to.


  4. Candace Says:

    I actually didn't love the first book in the series though I've debated trying the second one since I have the book. I think I'll skip it though, this might just be one that won't work for me. Sorry the ending was a tad disappointing for you though.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails