Rummanah Aasi
  Happy Halloween! I hope you all found some spooky reads, but if you are still struggling to find something to read you might want to consider Emily Carroll's terrifying graphic novel called Through the Woods. Just be sure to read it with the lights still on!


Description: Journey through the woods in this sinister, compellingly spooky collection that features four brand-new stories and one phenomenally popular tale in print for the first time. These are fairy tales gone seriously wrong, where you can travel to "Our Neighbor's House"—though coming back might be a problem. Or find yourself a young bride in a house that holds a terrible secret in "A Lady's Hands Are Cold." You might try to figure out what is haunting "My Friend Janna," or discover that your brother's fiancée may not be what she seems in "The Nesting Place." And of course you must revisit the horror of "His Face All Red," the breakout webcomic hit that has been gorgeously translated to the printed page.

Review: Through the Woods is a bizarre, creepy collection of dark tales that would make both Edgar Allen Poe and Stephen King proud. The graphic novel begins with a tale of three sisters who wait for their father to return, but one by one they disappear with a tall man in a broad-brimmed hat. Though the horror of this tale is subtle, it grows stronger as you continue the stories where a wealthy young woman weds a man in a lonely old house, and at night she hears a forlorn song of unavenged murder lilting from the walls and a girl spends the summer with her brother and his fiancée, who is not what she seems. All the tales in Carroll’s debut graphic novel are fairly standard ghost stories, but it is her eerie illustrations—popping with bold color on black, glossy pages—that masterfully build terrifying tension and a keep-the-lights-on atmosphere. Due to the limit of other colors in the graphic novel, the spooky images of stark forests, gaping caves, bloodshot eyes, and ominous shadows come alive and are brilliantly married to the text printed in manic handwritten fonts, some crazed and swirling, others coldly deadpan as if the words were running after the narrators. This graphic novel definitely delivers the chills and goosebumps making it a great Halloween read..

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: There are some disturbing images and strong violence. Recommended for older teens and adults.

If you like this book try: Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol, Mercury by Hope Larson
6 Responses
  1. I added this to my order for the library. Haven't seen it before. Thanks for the great review!


  2. I haven't read many graphic novels, but this is one I would totally like. It sounds so creepy and I am sure the illustrations are fantastic. Happy Halloween.


  3. I have a feeling I would need to read this one in the light! :) I also know a few teens that would love it.

    Happy Halloween!


  4. Jenny Says:

    Ooooo I'm loving the sound of this Rummanah! I want to buy a copy immediately and flip through all the creepy illustrations:) The artwork in graphic novels never fails to blow me away!

    PS - Did you get my emails about the EMBERS tour? Sorry to nag, just wanted to make sure you had everything you needed for next week:)


  5. Lol, I'm not sure if I should borrow a copy of this one. On the one hand, it's a graphic novel so I'm assuming it might not be as creepy as my imagination, but then again, it could be even creepier.


  6. Kristina Says:

    WOW!!! It seems to be really scary novel! But as I was reading your review on it I wanted to read this novel even more!
    Thanks for advice:) Will definitely check that out!
    P.S. Would love to see you in my blog: http://www.writemoreabout.blogspot.ru/


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails