Rummanah Aasi
  With frost temps on the horizon, it is hard not to think about summer and traveling. Adi Alsaid's debut novel Let's Get Lost is a good choice for those who have a bit of wanderlust or cabin fever. Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an advanced reader's copy of the book.

Description: Five strangers. Countless adventures. One epic way to get lost.

Four teens across the country have only one thing in common: a girl named Leila. She crashes into their lives in her absurdly red car at the moment they need someone the most.

There's Hudson, a small-town mechanic who is willing to throw away his dreams for true love. And Bree, a runaway who seizes every Tuesday—and a few stolen goods along the way. Elliot believes in happy endings…until his own life goes off-script. And Sonia worries that when she lost her boyfriend, she also lost the ability to love.

Hudson, Bree, Elliot and Sonia find a friend in Leila. And when Leila leaves them, their lives are forever changed. But it is during Leila's own 4,268-mile journey that she discovers the most important truth— sometimes, what you need most is right where you started. And maybe the only way to find what you're looking for is to get lost along the way.


Review: Let's Get Lost reads like a five vignettes held loosely by Leila, the one character that appears in each short story. Leila is driving from Louisiana to Alaska to see the Northern Lights. We don't know if she is driving away from her past or is just simply on an adventure. Along the way, she befriends four fellow teenagers in need: Hudson, who's so smitten with Leila that he jeopardizes a big opportunity; Bree, who's aimlessly hitchhiking, trying to forget a tragedy in her past; Elliot, who's devastated after the girl of his dreams rejects him; and Sonia, who's feeling guilty about moving on after her boyfriend's death. Leila improves each of their lives by inspiring her new friends to take risks and to seize the day. It is not until the final section where we discover the truths about Leila and why she's undertaken such a long journey. 
 While I liked the characters that Leila meets, I didn't really love or care enough for them. For instance I had a hard time getting over the insta-love that Hudson felt for her which impacted a huge decision about his future. There are also some over-the-top adventures such as when Leila and Sonia attempt to sneak over international lines--into Canada--with the help of "Stoner Timmy" and a dozen donuts that made my eyes roll. While the book definitely had its light moments, I kept waiting for the heavy moments to come up but it didn't really quite hit that mark. Even Leila's final reveal was anti-climatic for me. Overall Let's Get Lost is a decent road trip with equal parts heartache and hope, but it didn't blow me away.

Rating: 3 stars

Words of caution: There is some language, underage drinking and drug use, and vandalism. Recommended for Grades 9 and up.

If you like this book try: Paper Towns by John Green, Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
4 Responses
  1. I was excited about this one at first, but all the reviews I have read aren't thrilled with the five stories and that they don't connect well. I love a good road trip book, but this one is one I am going to pass on.


  2. Anonymous Says:

    I do love a good road trip story, but I wonder if the instalove and unbelievable adventures would bother me too much. I also feel like wondering the entire time why Leila is taking the trip would need to result in a big emotional payoff, and it sounds like it missed the mark. Thanks for your thoughtful, honest review! I think I'll put this one on the back burner for now.


  3. Aylee Says:

    I really like the idea of having these little vignettes that are all tied together in some way actually! It's too bad that the idea wasn't executed a bit better though... I think this could have been a real winner if the encounters and message were a bit more meaningful.


  4. I love road trip books but will pass on this one as I get the feeling that you don't really get to know the other characters. Also, there's insta-love and unrealistic adventures :(

    I saw that you recommended Amy and Roger's Epic Detour as a similar book; I loved that (and all of Matson's other novels) :)


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails