Rummanah Aasi

Description: Signed, sealed, delivered...  While spacing out in chemistry class, Lily scribbles some of her favorite song lyrics onto her desk. The next day, she finds that someone has continued the lyrics on the desk and added a message to her. Intrigue!
  Soon, Lily and her anonymous pen pal are exchanging full-on letters—sharing secrets, recommending bands, and opening up to each other. Lily realizes she’s kind of falling for this letter writer. Only, who is he? As Lily attempts to unravel the mystery and juggle school, friends, crushes, and her crazy family, she discovers that matters of the heart can’t always be spelled out.

Review: P.S. I Like You is the perfect comfort read. While you may figure out the story ahead of time, it is a joy watching the main characters play it all out. This book made me nostalgic and reminded me of the popular Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan romantic comedies, especially You've Got Mail which is actually a remake of a 1940s movie, The Shop Around the Corner, starring James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan.
  Cade and Lily have never gotten along for years. Cade has always made snide comments about Lily. Lily thinks Cade is a snotty, stuck-up rich kid, and only cares about himself. Both keep a count of how many jabs they can give one another. When Cade rains on her parade, Lily looks to shaggy hipster Lucas, who is a ray of sunshine and romantic potential. Things take a turn when Lily scribbles some graffiti on top of the desk to combat her boredom in chemistry class and is surprised to find a reply the next day. She is even more surprised when the answers continue. Soon the scribbles graduate to hidden notes and before she knows it, Lily is bonding and falling for her secret pen pal over mutual interests in indie music and about life. Who is her mysterious new friend? Could it be Lucas or some other stranger?
 The notes are my favorite thing about P.S. I Like You. It allowed the characters to develop and become unvarnished where they exposed their vulnerabilities and anxieties. Both characters reexamine themselves in believable ways, especially in the way they treated each other before. Another aspect that I loved about this story is Lily's large family that were full of vibrant characters. If you are a fan of antagonistic romances and like finishing a book with a smile on your face, do pick this one up. It's super cute without being sachrine.

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: There is some minor language that would be rated PG if it were a movie. Recommended for Grades 7 and up.

If you like this book try: On the Fence by Kasie West, To All the Boys I Loved Before series by Jenny Han, Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
6 Responses
  1. Sold. I have read this author and liked her stuff and I have seen positive reviews for this one. I hadn't really paid attention to the synopsis, but when you compared it to You've Got Mail, I immediately wanted to read it. Thank you for the recommendation.


  2. I haven't really fallen in love with West's works after Pivot Point so I'll probably pass on this one, Rummanah. The part about Lily having somebody who secretly writes notes to her on a desk though reminds me of Faking Normal, which isn't a romance novel but was a book I loved. Have you read that?


  3. Kindlemom Says:

    I really do love all her books, they are just so cute and fun.


  4. Aylee Says:

    Yeah, that sounds pretty predictable, but in a very pleasant kind of way, if that makes sense. I bet I would enjoy this too - and I have been meaning to read something from this author for once!


  5. This sounds great! I've been interested in reading this for awhile, but your review definitely makes me want to read it. I could really use a comfort read right now.


  6. I had a back and forth on a desk in high school. We used pencil and erased each day so the whole conversation wasn't public. I love the idea that those notes could become so much more. I am adding this one to my TBR list


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails