Rummanah Aasi
 During this past school year I participated in a seminar called Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity (SEED) in an effort to educate myself about the social inequities and the systemic racism in our nation. SEED awakened a part of me that lay dormant due to the lack of vocabulary of how to express my frustrations and the shockingly repetitions of gas-lighting and internalized racism. I also discovered my own biases that I need to address. If you ever have an opportunity to participate SEED in the United States, I highly, highly recommend it. 

  I want to continue my journey of anti-racism. First to educate myself on the topic and then to find ways to implement it in my school curriculum. As our nation struggles to acknowledge that #Black Lives Matter, it is now evident that we have a lot of work to do to make our nation better and the work starts with us. There are tons of book lists created that offer suggestions on how to learn about race and racism and I urge you to take note of them and seek them out for yourselves. I really do hope these books remain in our forefront and in our social conscious. 

  I wanted to create a list for myself and hold myself accountable while I am on this journey. Given the fact that race is hard topic and we are still grappling with the Covid pandemic, I also want to practice self care. My goal is to read at least one anti-racist book per month. This is not a complete list as I am always adding more titles but a start. I hope you can join me.

Adult Fiction

 

Your House Will Pay by Steph Cha
The Vanishing Half by Britt Bennett
Such a Fun Age by Kimberly Reid
Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu

Adult Nonfiction


Not Quite White by Sharmila Sen
Minor Feelings by Cathy Park Hong
How to be Antiracist by Dr. Ibram X Kendi
White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo
The Good Immigrant edited by Nikesh Shukla and Chimene Suleyman
When They Call You A Terrorist by Patrisse Khan-Cullors and Asha Bandela

YA Fiction


This is My America by Kim Johnson
We are Not Free by Traci Chee
Dear Justyce by Nic Stone
The Voting Booth by Brandy Colbert
We Are Not From Here by Jennifer Torre Sanchez

YA Nonfiction


We Are Not Yet Equal by Carol Anderson
An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz (adapted by Jean Mendoza and Debbie Reese) 
All Boys Aren't Blue by George M. Johnson
Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You by Jason Reynolds and Dr. Ibram X. Kendi

Children/MG Fiction


Black Brother, Black Brother  by Jewell Parker Rhodes
The Good Kind of Trouble by Lisa Moore Ramee
What Lane? by Torrey Maldonado

Children/MG Nonfiction


This Book is Anti-Racist by Tiffany Jewell
We Are Water Protectors by Carol Lindstrom
2 Responses
  1. Kindlemom Says:

    I love this and good luck with all of your reading goals!


  2. Such a great list. It makes me realize how many books I still want to read!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails