Rummanah Aasi
  I love the Parasol Protectorate series. It's incredibly witty and smart with the right amount of steampunk and paranormal to keep me entertained. When I finished Changeless, the second book in the series, I was taken aback by the cliff hanger and Lord Maccon's behavior. It came at me from left field and I knew I had to get my hands on book three, Blameless, as soon as it came out.

Description: Alexia is the central figure in the biggest scandal that Victorian England has ever seen. She's been kicked out of her house, removed as an adviser for the Queen, and a social pariah. Lord Akeldama, the only person who could make sense out of anything suddenly disappears. If that's not bad enough, Alexia is attacked by mechanical lady bugs, which could only mean that vampires what her dead. When she's left to no choice, Alexia goes to Italy in hopes of getting some answers. 

Review: Blameless picks up immediately where Changeless left off. Alexia is in her darkest days, but still continues to be feisty, snarky, witty, and fashionable. While this installment of the series is still full of humor, snappy dialogue, very cool steampunk elements and fantastic supernatural action, there was still something that I thought was missing and I think it has it do with the brief appearances of Lord Maccon, the hunky, Scottish alpha werewolf. Although we see that he is suffering, deservedly so, I think his realization of his mistake wasn't developed enough so the ending didn't do much for me.
 In this third book we are introduced to some new characters that didn't make any impression on me. Alexia is traveling (or more appropriately getting in trouble with) this time with Floote and Madame Lefoux, both characters that I was familiar with from the first two books, but they did not provide enough comedy relief. I missed seeing the clueless, ditzy, yet loveable Ms. Hisslepenny and even Alexia's annoying sisters, who usually have me rolling on the floor with laughter, but unfortunately they had very minor roles in this book.
  As you can see this volume really brings out the secondary characters. Professor Lyall (my second favorite werewolf) was pleasantly prominent, and I enjoyed the sub plots involving the vampire intrigue and the Professor's efforts to keep the pack together in the face of Lord Maccon's crisis.Although not as funny as the first two books, I still really enjoyed Blameless and I look forward to finding out what other troubles that Alexia finds herself in. In order to prevent yourself from being spoiled and to get a better handle on the numerous characters, I highly suggest that you read the first two books, Soulless and Changeless, first.


Rating: 4 stars


Words of Caution: There is some language and an allusion to sex. I would say it's appropriate for teens, but I think they would get frustrated by the slow pace and dry humor.


If you like this book try: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
5 Responses
  1. Too bad it has a slow pace. Otherwise it sounds like something my husband would like. He loves adventure books and mysteries. I might like it though.


  2. Alison: It's not too slow, but it reads like a period piece. You get lots of info about the time period, social behavior, etc. Give it a shot!


  3. Nat Says:

    I did not realize that these books were funny! I will have to give them a try. Thanks for the review!


  4. Jenny Says:

    I can't wait to read this series, I love a book with a good sense of humor so I'll definitely be picking these up. Too bad the humor isn't as prevalent in this book, maybe the next one will return to the tone of the first two!


  5. Kelly and Jenny: Yup, funny and witty like Jane Austen. Can't wait to see what you think about them!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails