Rummanah Aasi

  Today I'm participating in another Top 10 Tuesday meme over at The Broke and the Bookish. The purpose of the meme is share our top ten lists with other bloggers. The top ten list this week features books that made me cry. As you know, characters in books and movies are real to me. Yes, I've been told that I'm crazy by many people, particularly by those in my family *grins*, but I can't help it. I'm an emotional reader who hates to see my favorite characters either die or go through difficult times. Below is a list of books that made me cry in no particular order:

1.   The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan: There were many emotional and powerful scenes of what a mother will do for her child. Also one of the very rare instants where the movie adaptation is just as good as the book.

2.  If I Stay by Gayle Forman: The flashbacks of family memories had me grabing tissue after tissue while I read this slim yet phenomenal, emotionally draining book.

3.  The Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson: A childhood favorite that totally caught me off guard.

4. Twilight Saga: Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer: Yeah, I know I'm sappy. Although I'm through and through a Team Edward girl, I couldn't stand seeing Jacob's heart break. It still gets me no matter how many times I reread the book.

5. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater: A perfect example where my favorite character suffers. I love Sam, but learning about his past made me emotional. If that wasn't bad enough, there is a scene where he relives his nightmare over again. I had to stop crying for a while in order to pick the book right back up.

6. Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy: The epitome of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I hated both of the male leads and felt so sorry for what this poor girl goes through.

7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak: A phenomenal book about the Holocaust, which is narrated by Death. Even though I knew it was going to be sad, it was still heart breaking to read. I couldn't grab the tissues fast enough as I finished the last few chapters.

8. Sweethearts by Sara Zarr: This one struck an emotional cord with me. Just something about thinking that your best friend is dead and missing until he/she suddenly reappear and is completely changed.

9. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck: Poor Leenie.

10. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson: A very emotional book right from the start.
There is only 2 Days left in my:

7 Responses
  1. Kelly A. Says:

    The Book Thief got me too. The ending was just horrible.


  2. danya Says:

    I've actually never read Of Mice and Men but I did see it performed live and have to say it made me tear up, it was so moving.


  3. Oh yes, Tess--tragic! I like the way you mix it up, with YA and adult titles together. I think I really need to look into Gayle Forman--I've seen that name a lot lately!


  4. I remember reading Bridge to Terabithia when I was younger and crying so hard at the end! It was so sad! And don't worry, I saw quite a few Twilight books on other people's lists so we aren't the only ones! :)


  5. Safoora Says:

    I was sobbing by the end of A Fine Balance...


  6. Daisy Says:

    I've only read The Book Thief from your list, but that one is extremely sad!


  7. Nat Says:

    I'm with you 100% on #'s 1, 2, and 7. Eclipse I think made me tear up and Shiver did not make me cry but I did enjoy them too. I haven't read the others...but plan to someday. :)


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails