Rummanah Aasi
  After reading the jaw dropping cliffhanger of Hard Bitten, I was counting the days until the release of Drink Deep. In the meantime, I formulated theories with a coworker who is reading the series with me during lunch breaks. Lots of questions were raised and I wondered how Neill was going to tackle them all in the next book.

Description (from Goodreads): Clouds are brewing over Cadogan House, and recently turned vampire Merit can't tell if this is the darkness before the dawn or the calm before the storm. With the city itself in turmoil over paranormals and the state threatening to pass a paranormal registration act, times haven't been this precarious for vampires since they came out of the closet. If only they could lay low for a bit, and let the mortals calm down. That's when the waters of Lake Michigan suddenly turn pitch black-and things really start getting ugly.
  Chicago's mayor insists it's nothing to worry about, but Merit knows only the darkest magic could have woven a spell powerful enough to change the very fabric of nature. She'll have to turn to friends old and new to find out who's behind this, and stop them before it's too late for vampires and humans alike.


Review: Drink Deep is really hard for me to review because of my conflicted feelings about the book. There were lot of things that I really enjoyed, which added to the story. There were other parts that I thought weren't fully flushed and incredibly rushed at the end. I'll try my best and highlight both the strength and weaknesses of the book. 
   Drink Deep is entertaining and full of little twists and surprises that kept me turning the pages. Neil has created a new mystery where no one seems to know what is going on, which builds tension and the right amount of suspense. Magic is unbalanced and the supernaturals are blaming each other for the causes. Merit is on the case to clear the vampires' reputation. During Merit's investigation, we learn more about the lesser known paranormal creatures such as the nymphs and the fairies, which I found interesting. I always love learning new tidbits in Neil's intricate world.
  After the devastating events that left Merit shattered, it was nice to see her back on her feet. She could have easily wallowed and whined her way throughout the book, but I'm glad to have old Merit back. Of course she is still in pain and trying to wrap her head around what happen, but I'm glad that her life isn't on pause. 
  I also enjoyed learning about Jonah, who was an important side character in the last two books. We get to see him in action. He is smart, witty, and incredibly good looking. He knows his place and doesn't push. I wasn't quite sure of Jonah before this book, but I grew to like him. 
  Though I was enthralled by Drinking Deep, the book is not up to par with the other books in the series. I actually think in some respects that it is the weakest book in the series thus far. The book came across a little bit as filler or even a transition book. While the mystery had me guessing for a good chunk of the book, I thought it was too conveniently solved at the end. I'm still wondering how all the pieces come together actually. Some of my favorite characters seem to adopt new and unwelcoming personality changes. The main question that all readers asked of Neill is answered yet I felt it was rushed and not really rewarding (I can't really complain all that much. It was nice to see.). Overall the plot arc of the book isn't integral to the series, except for the last few chapters. When I finished the book, I'm still left with questions, but I'm looking forward to the adventure that Neill is setting us up for in Biting Cold and hopefully a return the Chicagoland Vampire normalcy that I can expect.
 
Rating: 3.5

Words of Caution: There is some language and allusions to sex. Recommended for mature teen readers and adults.

If you like this book try: Biting Cold by Chloe Neil (Chicagoland Vampires #6), Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep, Cassandra Palmer series by Karen Chance, Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, Kate Daniel series by Ilona Andrews, Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
4 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    I agree this one was definitely more of a transition book and was bound to be weaker just because it was missing one of the more vital elements that made the first 4 so interesting. I was really glad Merit didn't whine and mope the entire time either, that just isn't her style and it would have been hard to deal with on top of everything else. I have high hopes for Biting Cold though, I can't wait:)


  2. Had to skip your review because I still haven't finished book 3 yet. This reminds me that I need to get back to it. I really like the series.


  3. I'm in agreement. I guess I was reading and just waiting for this huge ending and instead I just kind of got this...thing. It wasn't flushed, as you say, and while what happened at the end was something I really wanted, I just didn't feel it like I did in her other books. And you are so right, there were so many personality changes that bothered me. Mallory was a jerk and instead of Merit calling her on it like she always does, she just lets it go. I thought it weird because in all the previous books, no matter what they are going through, they always call each other on their bad attitudes. I loved your review, Rummanah and like you I'm waiting for Biting Cold hoping for more than I got in Drink Deep!


  4. I've also heard that this one just fell flat within the series. I haven't yet started the series, but did get this book sent to me (I have no idea why, but eh... I'll deal until I get the others... LOL).


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails