Rummanah Aasi
  In the spirit of the Something Wicked blogging event, I wanted to share with you some adult mini-reviews that about things that go bump in the night and that may be featured during this month. Today I'll be reviewing The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire #1), The Abandoned (Graveyard Queen), and Timeless (Parasol Protectorate #5).

Description (from Goodreads): In 1870, monsters rise up and conquer the northern lands. As great cities are swallowed up by carnage and disease, landowners and other elite flee south to escape their blood-thirsty wrath. One hundred fifty years later, the great divide still exists; fangs on one side of the border, worried defenders on the other. This fragile equilibrium is threatened, then crumbles after a single young princess becomes almost hopelessly lost in the hostile territory. At first, she has only one defender—a mysterious Greyfriar who roams freely in dangerous vampire regions.

Review: I thought I'd try this book out after reading some great reviews from fellow bloggers. For the most part, I really did enjoy The Greyfriar, but I did have to find my rhythm in reading the story. There is a large cast of characters that I had trouble at first getting straight as they entered and excited very quickly. The plot had enough action to keep me occupied, but it is the slow burn relationship between the young, fiesty, and strong willed princess, Adele, and the mysterious Greyfriar that caught my attention. Readers looking for strong steampunk elements may be disappointed with this book as it's very lightly featured, but I'm guessing that these elements will become stronger in the next book of the series. By the end of the book, I wanted to know more about the world that the authors created and the characters. I'm looking forward to continuing this series.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Words of Caution: There is some strong violence, language, and disturbing images. Recommended for mature teens and adults only.

If you like this book try: The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire #2), Boneshaker by Cherie Priest


Description (from Goodreads): There are rules for dealing with ghosts. Too bad Ree Hutchins doesn't know them. When her favorite patient at a private mental hospital passes away, psychology student Ree Hutchins mourns the elderly woman's death. But more unsettling is her growing suspicion that something unnatural is shadowing her.
   Amateur ghost hunter Hayden Priest believes Ree is being haunted. Even Amelia Gray, known in Charleston as The Graveyard Queen, senses a gathering darkness. Driven by a force she doesn't understand, Ree is compelled to uncover an old secret and put abandoned souls to rest--before she is locked away forever....


Review: The Abandoned is a prequel novella to the Graveyard Queen series by Amanda Stevens. The novella can easily be read independently from the series. While it contains the similar style of her paranormal mysteries, this novella left something more to be desired. While only less than 100 pages, Stevens takes her time to plan out her plot but I couldn't connect with the characters introduced in this novella. I think part of the problem is that I liked Amelia right from the start, but I didn't really think that Ree had enough of a personality to make her a three dimensional character. The plot was decent but I thought the ending and resolution of the ending was just too quick. I would recommend picking up this novella to give you a sense of what things you could expect from the author, but you want to fully immerse in the awesome paranormal mystery storyline you can go straight to reading The Restorer, the first book in the Graveyward Queen series.

Rating: 3 stars

Words of Caution: There is some language, a small sex scene, and disturbing images. Recommended for mature teens and adults only.

If you like this book try: The Body Finder series by Kimberly Derting, Clarity by Kim Harrington, The Graveyard Queen series by Amanda Stevens.


Description: Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, must answer a mystifying summons to Egypt from the world's oldest vampire. Meanwhile back in London, beta werewolf Professor Lyall and Biffy find investigating nefarious goings-on. 

Review: Timeless may not be the best book in the Parasol Protectorate series, but I really enjoyed the conclusion of this series. Not high brow or serious by any means, Timeless reminded me why I loved this series. Full of witty and tongue-in cheek British humor, a great setting, and characters that are more like friends you would love to take out to lunch or dinner. While I didn't really care that much for the plot where Alexia was concerned, I was a bit more involved with the murder investigation that Professor Lyall and Biffy unexpectedly find themselves in. There were a few new surprises which I didn't see coming, but the highlight of this book for me is the introduction of Prudence, the little darling toddler who stole the show. While I'm sorry to see Alexia and the gang go, I can't wait to read the spin off series of the same world featuring Prudence as a young adult.

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: There is some language, allusions to sex scenes, and some violence. Recommended for teens and adults only.

If you like this book try: Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences by Philippa Ballantine, The Iron Wyrm Affair by
5 Responses
  1. I love these quick reviews, I read Abandoned a year and a half ago and I don't remember it all that well, it was creepy but I have forgotten the details. I do know that it wasn't the best intro. I didn't Timeless was the last book. I read book one, enjoyed it but wasn't blown away!


  2. I'm a huge Greyfriar fan, but I can understand why it would get a 3.5 review. It is very slow. Eventually, I got into it, but it took awhile. I just loved the sweet moments between Greyfriar and Adele. And the characters get better as the series go on (although it's still slow)


  3. I've seen a lot of good reviews for The Greyfriar too so I'm hoping to get around to reading it eventually. I love the sound of the romance but the big cast of characters sounds a bit worrisome. If the characters lack depth, I tend to forget who's who.


  4. Candace Says:

    I'm getting ready to read the third Vampire Empire book. The second did have more steampunk but was still light on steampunk elements. I like the series but its very dark and for that reason I tend to take breaks and read other stuff.

    I still need to read Timeless! Its been calling my name and I cant wait to pick it up. I'm glad you enjoyed it!


  5. I love the Graveyard Queen series so much, but I was never really tempted to read the prequel, mostly because, well... no Devlin, you know?

    As for Timeless, it certainly lacked some of the series' previous charm, but I felt good about the conclusion too, and I'm quite happy with the series overall. :)


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails