Rummanah Aasi
  Most of the urban fantasy series that I've read are told from a female point of view, but I'm beginning to read a few from a males point of view such as Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles and Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. If you are a fan of mythology, paranormal, action, and humor, I do recommend picking up the Iron Druid Chronicles. The books are fun to read and the characters are great.


Description: For a two-thousand-year-old Druid, Atticus O’Sullivan is a pretty fast runner. Good thing, because he’s being chased by not one but two goddesses of the hunt—Artemis and Diana—for messing with one of their own. Dodging their slings and arrows, Atticus, Granuaile, and his wolfhound Oberon are making a mad dash across modern-day Europe to seek help from a friend of the Tuatha Dé Danann. His usual magical option of shifting planes is blocked, so instead of playing hide-and-seek, the game plan is . . . run like hell.
  Crashing the pantheon marathon is the Norse god Loki. Killing Atticus is the only loose end he needs to tie up before unleashing Ragnarok—AKA the Apocalypse. Atticus and Granuaile have to outfox the Olympians and contain the god of mischief if they want to go on living—and still have a world to live in.

Review: After the disappointing fifth installment of the series, I am glad to say that the Iron Druid Chronicles is back on the right track. Hunted is full of nonstop action leaving us much of the time trying to catch our breaths as we follow Atticus and company in deadly pursuit from some angry Gods, and their only hope seems to be to reach an place in Windsor Great Park in England in the most human way possibly-running literally across Europe since there normal mode of transportation (i.e. teleporting between realms) is unavailable. Luckily they can call on the power of Gaia each time they touch the Earth, and they can transform into running animals that make it just a little bit easier.
  In most series that I've read, the protagonists always manage to find any easy way or things just happen too conveniently in order to solve their problems but not this time. Atticus and company's success is by no means assured, as traps and ambushes loom at every turn. When he's a few steps ahead of his pursuers, Atticus is able to investigate just who really has it in for him, but in doing so puts him in a very deadly trap. As an added bonus to the story, we are given a few chapters written from Granuaile, Atticus's protege and love interest, but I would have loved more. I am glad that she became a main character now.
 Of course the book ends with more troubling times ahead for Atticus and it's quite possibly that may have accidentally started Ragnarok (the Apocalypse)? Luckily, at the end of the story he may just have a new ally to help with the next problem. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: There is strong violence, language, and sexual situations are implied. Recommended for older teens and adults.

If you like this book try: Shattered (Iron Druid Chronicles #7) releasing June 2014, The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher, Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman,  Child of Fire by Harry Connollly
8 Responses
  1. Yes, I liked this one better than the last book as well. I am eager to see how the new ally is going to be and I want to get to know the new dog.


  2. Oh good! I disliked book 5 intensely and never even bothered to get a copy of this, but now that I know it's better, I'll make sure to pick it up. I used to love this series so much, but it bothers me when Hearne goes into his famous lecture mode, which he does all too often.


  3. Oh no... I have the 5th on my audio tbr. Still, glad to know that it picks up after that one. More Granuaile! Nice! Enjoy her character.


  4. I haven't even started this series. I started the first book but got sidetracked so I'd have to start even that book over. I am so glad the series got back on track for you!! I love the mixture of mythologies in this series and the humor. I must make time for it! So glad this one lived up to your expectations!!


  5. I love this series. i've only read the first two but they are such fun. I listen to them on audio which I think adds to the experience.


  6. Jenny Says:

    Yay for a series getting back on track Rummanah! Love it when that happens and an author is able to right the ship before it sinks:) I've heard such amazing things about this series, and I've been meaning to start it but keep getting distracted. Maybe I'll just wait until the entire series is out and then binge read, that might be the best way to tackle it:)


  7. I'm glad that you liked this installment better, Rummanah. I still need to give this series a try. I haven't read too many novels from male POVs but I always end up liking the ones that I do read.


  8. Candace Says:

    Crap, I'm behind on this series now and I was doing so well! I really like that this is male POV and while he can be a bit wordy it's such a fun series!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails