Rummanah Aasi
Reading a book in the Charley Davidson series is a lot like reuniting with a great friend that you haven't talked to in a while, you just pick up right where you left off as if the absences never existed. For me the main draw of this series is its trademark humor which never fails to make me laugh out loud. I know Charley's humor can be over-the-top for some readers, but that's what I love about her.

Description: Charley Davidson isn't your everyday, run-of-the-mill grim reaper. She's more of a paranormal private eye/grim reaper extraordinaire. However, she gets sidetracked when Reyes Farrow moves in next door. To further complicate matters, Reyes is her main suspect in an arson case. Charley has vowed to stay away from him until she can find out the truth...but then dead women start appearing in her apartment, one after another, each lost, confused, and terrified beyond reason. When it becomes apparent that her own sister, Gemma is the serial killer's next target, Charley has no choice but to ask for Reyes's help. Arsonist or not, he's the one man alive who could protect Gemma no matter who or what came at her. But he wants something in return. Charley. All of her, body and soul. And to keep her sister safe, it is a price she is willing to pay.

Review: For me, Fifth Grave is where I started to become a Reyes Farrow fan. Though I acknowledged his physical appeal, I didn't see much beside that until I read this book. Reyes is a completely different person than from the first few books in this series. He becomes more human, displaying his vulnerabilities to Charlie and that's what made him click for me. I really liked his character development in this hope and I hope that continues in the future installments. I also really enjoyed the mystery behind the roomful of girls whose spirits are stuck here. I wasn't able to solve this mystery as easily as I did the others.

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: There is strong language, crude humor, some strong violence, and a few sexual situations. Recommended for mature teens and adults only.

If you like this book try: Accidental Friends series by Dakota Cassidy, Peper Martin series by Casey Daniels, Undead series by MaryJanice Davidson, and the Chicagoland Vampire series by Chloe Neill


Description (edited to avoid spoilers): Charley Davidson is a paranormal private eye and grim reaper-in-training who is known to be a bit of a hell-raiser, especially after a few shots of caffeine. Her beloved Reyes may be the son of evil, but he is everything Charley could hope for and want, but when the FBI file on Reyes' troubling childhood happens to land into her lap, Charley can't help herself: She opens it. and then the real fun begins. First, Charley finds a naked corpse riding shotgun in her car. Then, a man loses his soul in a card game. Throw in a Deaf boy who sees dead people, a woman running from mobsters, and a very suspicious Reyes, and things can't get any worse for Charley. Right?

Review:  In this installment we do get a few answers to some of the questions and a couple of background histories that we have been waiting for, however, the real truth behind Charley's true powers as a grim reaper are still mystery. Though there are plenty of clues or little hints that Jones drops for us, we still don't know how the pieces of the puzzle fit.
   Sixth Grave has a nice balance of dark, sad moments along with the humor and sweet romance between Charley and Reyes. We are introduced to a new character, the Dealer, an escaped empathetic demon who helps people who are willing to sell their soul to him. He may know all the details that Charley wants to know about being the grim reaper but she will need to tread carefully when working with him. The Dealer is definitely going to shake things up for Charley and I do not completely trust him. Unfortunately, Sixth Grave ends in a huge cliffhanger that can completely change the course of the series and I'm super curious to see where Jones takes this story. I just hope this series continues to be entertaining and not take a dive (I'm looking right at you Chicagoland Vampires). Thankfully, Seventh Grave and No Body releases next month so the waiting game isn't too long. 

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: There is strong language, crude humor, some strong violence, and a few sexual situations. Recommended for mature teens and adults only.

If you like this book try: Seventh Grave and No Body by Darynda Jones (Charley Davidson #4), Accidental Friends series by Dakota Cassidy, Peper Martin series by Casey Daniels, Undead series by MaryJanice Davidson, and the Chicagoland Vampire series by Chloe Neill
4 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    I need to get caught up on this series Rummanah! I'm still back at book two. I fail. So glad book 5 turned you into a Reyes fan for real, I can't wait to learn more about him and especially what makes him tick:)


  2. I completely agree with you about Reyes. I understood the appeal in the early books, but I didn't much care for him otherwise until the fifth book when he started to seem much more human. Now I'm a fan, naturally. I'm glad you're still enjoying these, Darynda is just fantastic.


  3. Oh now you are caught up with the rest of us. I cannot wait for the next installment. I think I've always been a Reyes fan, but then I figured he would really become the guy to lust for. It wasn't a hard prediction since you see it so often in UF. :D


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Seventh Grave releases next month? AHHH I have so much catching up to do! So happy you're enjoying these books so much, it seems everyone loves them and I can't wait to get caught up so I can see what all the fuss is about! :-)


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails