Rummanah Aasi
Image Credit

Sorry for the white noise on the blog. I'm wrapping up a few left over reads for this year and will be participating in a few reading challenges for next year. As promised here are my top 14 books of 2014 in no particular order. I still have to write a couple of reviews for a couple of them and hope to do that in the next few days.

 We Were Liars by E. Lockhart- Riveting, brutal and beautifully told, We Were Liars is hard to put down and much harder to forget. Cloaked in secrets, greed, and deception, it is best to read We Were Liars without knowing anything about the book. After a jaw dropping ending, I wished the book was a little bit longer.

 The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion-  The Rosie Project reminded me of one my favorite sitcoms, The Big Bang Theory, and I think it would be enjoyed by fans of the tv show as well as others looking for a quick, cute read.



The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom (League of Princes #1) by Christopher Healy-  Inventive and hilarious, this book should come with a warning to not read in public if you don't what to get weird stares every time you irrupt in giggles. I highly recommend this book if you are fans of the animated movies Shrek and Tangled, if you enjoy reading about fairy tales, or if you are looking for a fun read.

 These Broken Stars (Starbound #1)- Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner- A near perfect science fiction romance read. I can't wait to pick up the second book which was released just last week.



Attachments by Rainbow Rowell- I discovered Rowell quite late last year, but became quite a fan after reading Eleanor and Park. Attachments is the perfect read in a dreary, cold day. When I finished it I had a big smile on my face and if you're in the mood for an incredibly sweet and quirky romance then this book is for you.

 Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld- This is the most original book that I have read this year. I loved the combination of two narratives and getting an insiders look at publishing.



Exquisite Captive by Heather Demetrios- This is my favorite paranormal romance that I have read this year. The world building, characters, and romance were outstanding. I can't wait to dive back into this world with book 2!

 Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater- While the paranormal elements take a back seat in this companion novel to the Wolves of Mercy series, I loved watching Isabel and Cole come to terms with their own metaphorical demons and come together.

Navigating Early by Claire Vanderpool- To be honest, I wasn't sure what to think of this book when I started it, but the author's beautiful writing and her skillful yet subtle exploration of themes such as friendship, loss, and self discovery really made me love it. 

 The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters- I'm a big fan of how Winters combines the touch of paranormal along with historical facts to not only create an eerie environment, but an intriguing way to look at history. This book made me angry for all of the right reasons.



Night Broken by Patricia Briggs- Unlike the previous books, Night Broken is filled with nonstop action, few unexpected surprises, and fascinating new characters. I'm really curious to see how the new developments in the Mercyverse will work out.



A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd- A delightful, inspiring, and heartwarming book. I would definitely recommend this book to those who enjoy books that have magical realism or those who are a bit reluctant to try a fantasy read. This book is guaranteed to make you smile the all the way through and feel great. This is my favorite book by a debut author.

 Almost Home by Joan Bauer- Almost Home is a moving and powerful story of a young girl who overcomes adversity. Sugar's optimism and strength is very admirable. 


 Bomb: The Race to Build and Steal the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin- I am not a big fan of nonfiction in general, but I found this book riveting. Weaving scientific and historical facts this is not your textbook read. It actually reads very much like a spy thriller with its excellent storytelling and how the famous and infamous cast of characters such as Robert Oppenheimer and spy Harry Gold are brought to life in this book.



3 Responses
  1. I think those you have up there that I haven't read should be or are on my wishlist. Those that I've read... I agree they were great!

    Happy New Year!


  2. Susan Says:

    Fun list! I really liked A SNICKER OF MAGIC and ATTACHMENTS. I'm planning to read THE ROSIE PROJECT this year -- I've heard tons of great things about it!


  3. I just found this. Sorry. Late to the party. I haven't even heard of some of these books. Are all of them in your library or some you just read for yourself? I don't have a very "reading" bunch of kids this year and so no one is asking me to buy certain books. It is very frustrating. I definitely want to look into THE HEROES GUIDE TO SAVING THE KINGDOM. Sounds like a hoot.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails