Rummanah Aasi
  I loved reading mysteries as a younger reader. I burned through all of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys titles I could find at my school and public libraries. I went on to reading Sherlock Holmes shortly then and became a big fan. I'm glad there are Sherlockian reads for younger readers and now for teens.

Description: Xena and Xander Holmes have just discovered they’re related to Sherlock Holmes and have inherited his unsolved casebook! The siblings set out to solve the cases their famous ancestor couldn’t, starting with the mystery of a prized painting that vanished more than a hundred years ago. Can two smart twenty-first-century kids succeed where Sherlock Holmes could not?

Review: The 100 Year Old Secret is a fun mystery and a very quick read. Two American children, Xena Holmes and her brother, Xander have just arrived in London and are settling in their new homes. They find out that they are the great-great-great-grandchildren of the great Sherlock Holmes. They inherit his notebook of unsolved cases, and it turns out they've also inherited his sleuthing talent. And Watson's great-great-great-grandson, Andrew Watson also plays an important part in solving the case they're working on, which involves the whereabouts of a valuable painting that went missing more than 100 years ago.
  As fan of Sherlock Holmes, it was fun seeing how all the Sherlockian lore was throughout the story. There were lots of nods to the great detective without being overly obvious and I'm sure it would inspire younger readers to actually venture out and seek the original Sherlock stories on their own. The character were lively and I liked how the siblings worked together, bouncing ideas off one another and using their strengths to solve the mystery while also bantering and squabbling like siblings are known to do with one another. In addition to the action and great characters, there were plenty of humor as Xena and Xander learn the differences between British and American English (e.g., "biscuits" for "cookies," "football" for "soccer"). I would definitely recommend this series for any younger reader who is a mystery fan who has read all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mysteries out there as well as fans of Sherlock Holmes. 

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: None. Recommended for strong Grade 3 readers and up.

If you like this book try: The Beast of Blackslope by Tracy Barrett (Sherlock Files #2),  The Fall of the Amazing Zalindas by Tracy Mack
6 Responses
  1. Kindlemom Says:

    I absolutely love that they have these as well because I too, loved mysteries growing up. Nancy Drew, Sherlock, later Mary Higgins-Clark, I just couldn't get enough of them.
    Wonderful review! I need to try these, I think I have a daughter that would really enjoy them.


  2. Oh yes, I loved mysteries when I was a kid. I will definitely add this to my kids' readers list for when they are older. Sounds like fun.


  3. I've never read Sherlock Holmes but I loved Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys growing up so I think this would be bring me back to the days when I used to constantly read mysteries. I also think my brother and cousin will like this series and will see if it's available at my library. Thanks for the recommendation, Rummanah.


  4. Jenny Says:

    I'm adding this to my list Rummanah! My mother in law's friends are always looking for recommendations for their kids, so I like to have some good things to share. Love the idea of Sherlock's grandkids finding his book of unsolved cases!


  5. Oh these sound so good. I'm totally recommending this review to my cousin. I think his boys would love the series.


  6. Candace Says:

    I love mysteries and I love Sherlock stories. I think this is one that we would enjoy in our house!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails