Rummanah Aasi
  I have not been in a manga reading mood for quite some time this year, but I did manage to finish Zombie Loan which is now a complete series at 13 volumes. Zombie Loan has a good mixture of action, humor, and dark elements of paranormal/supernatural background.

Description: Michiru Kita's a weak-spirited girl who has a hard time saying what's on her mind. One day, she notices mysterious, ring-like markings around the necks of two of her classmates, Chika Akatsuki and Shito Tachibana - two boys who miraculously survived a horrible accident six months ago. Michiru, possessing the rare ability to see these rings, knows that they warn of impending death. Thinking that, perhaps, she can do something to save her classmates' lives, she approaches them...but it seems the boys have already made a different kind of deal and garnered themselves a heavy debt.

Review: I am conflicted on my opinions of Zombie Loan. I picked up primarily because I thought it would be a great read-alike for Black Butler, a manga series that I've really enjoyed but have fallen behind on. Zombie Loan shares dark paranormal/supernatural elements and humor of Black Butler, however, there is a lot more thoughtful meditation on the value of life and what it truly means to live sprinkled throughout the series.
  It took me up to the third volume of Zombie Loan to warm up to the characters and finally begin to see the manga story arc a bit clearly. Michiru who at first comes across as a hopeless, ditsy female character soon becomes much more complex as she realizes her destiny. I liked how she slowly grow into her own strong character instead of assuming this role because she has a hidden superpower. I also really liked how the two male leads in this manga, Chicka and Shito, treat her like a sister instead of both falling in love with her.   In addition to Michiru's character development, we also learn back stories of Chicka and Shito as well as watch these two boys with polar opposite personality traits overcome their differences and work together.
  The concept of fighting zombies to rack good points is a fun concept. The story becomes more intricate as it nears to the end, which is expected. There is plenty of action to keep readers on their toes along with moments of thought and reflection.
  I was not a big fan of the artwork in this manga. The girls have gigantic eyes and small features, which plays nicely off of the chiseled good-looking leading men. There were many times where I was confused as to which male character is which because they are drawn so alike. Overall, Zombie Loan was a decent manga series but not one of my favorites. I would have dropped it earlier, but a few students of mine told me to continue and said it got better, which it did. I would recommend this series to readers who like lots of action in their manga along with some food for thought and humor.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Words of Caution: There is strong language, strong violence, and crude humor throughout the series. This series is rated OT for older teens.

If you like this series try: Black Butler series by Yana Toboso, Blue Exorcist series by Kazue Kato
2 Responses
  1. I'm glad it got better for you. Yes, I do notice that manga can get very androgynous. Brilly review! Hope you had a great holiday!


  2. Kindlemom Says:

    I like that this has a darker funnier side to it. Sorry it didn't quite live up to your expectations though but at least it was still an enjoyable read for you. ;)


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails