Rummanah Aasi
  I'm really behind on my graphic novel pile. So if you see a slew of graphic novel reviews here, that means I'm doing a graphic novel read-athon. On top of my big to be read graphic novel pile is Breaking Up by Aimee Friedman. Just by looking at this title, I thought, "Here's another graphic novel about a girl sulking about breaking up with a guy." I was pleasantly surprised. Breaking Up is actually about the fickle friendships we make in high school.

Description: Chloe Sacks is a self-described aspiring artist and tells the story of her tumultuous junior year at Georgia O'Keeffe School for the Arts in flashbacks.She has been best friends with the daring and gorgeous Mackensie since kindergarten. She also has a close friendship Isabel and Erika. Once thought of as inseparable, their friendship is challenged by sex, love, and popularity.

Review: I liked Breaking Up mainly because I thought it was a well balanced book that discusses realistic issues and teenage sarcasm/angst. Though the four friends fit neatly into certain categories, teens will easily identify with them. The dialogue and narrative by Friedman is spot on and well paced. The illustrations by Norrie are fantastic. I love the panels where emotions such as butterflies in the stomach are portrayed in the comic. The panels were clean and easy to read, follow.

Rating: 4 stars


Words of Caution: There is some mild language. Sex is discussed amongst the characters. One of the main character has already lost her virginity and another not sure whether or not to have sex. The discussion is frank and relatively clean. I would recommend this comic for Grades 7 and up.


If you like this book try: Good as Lily by
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails