Rummanah Aasi
Free-lance author, Scott Nicholson contacted me and asked if I would review some of his books on my blog. I told him that I would love to spread the word about his books. I'm just sorry that it me long to do so! Scott's novels have been #1 on the Amazon Kindle list for ghost and horror stories. The first of many books by Scott that I'll be reviewing is called Speed Dating with the Dead.

Description (from Scott's website): When Wayne "Digger" Wilson hosts a paranormal conference at the haunted White Horse Inn, he has motives beyond searching for the inn's legendary ghosts. Years ago, he made a honeymoon promise to his wife Beth that if one of them died, the survivor would return to the White Horse to summon the other's lost spirit. Now she's dead and Digger's back, with the daughter they conceived during that fateful honeymoon sixteen years before. And the ghost hunters are stirring up ancient evils that were better left in peace, because the inn's basement is home to a circle of demons that have been waiting for Wayne to return.
   They want his teenage daughter Kendra, and they'll play whatever tricks they need in order to satisfy their dark desires. And at the White Horse Inn, not even angels can be trusted . . .

Review: While reading Speed Dating with the Dead, I couldn't help but remember bits of the TV show Ghost hunters, and the books, The Haunting of House Hill by Shirley, and The Shining by Stephen King. The book combines the elements of paranormal, thriller, mystery, and horror quite nicely. I particularly liked the relationship between Digger and his daughter, Kendra. I wished their relationship was flushed out a bit more.
  When I first started the book, I was a bit confused with the introduction of numerous characters. I found it hard to remember who was who and how they connected to Digger and Kendra. Once I settled that confusion and waited until the havoc to begin, Speed Dating with the Dead was a smooth reading experience. Though I, personally, prefer psychological horror (i.e. Edgar Allen Poe) instead of gore, I didn't find the book scary; however, there were still quite a few creepy passages. If you enjoy being scared, give Speed Dating with the Dead a try.

Rating: 3 stars

Words of Caution: There is strong language and violence/gore in the book. There also some sex scenes that are quite graphic. I would recommend this book for adults only.

If you like this book try: The Creative Spirit by Scott Nicholson

2 Responses
  1. Safoora Says:

    Was it quite gory? I don't like books or films that have too much gore...


  2. I'd say it's about as gory as a your ordinary PG-13 horror movie. A lot of it kinda takes place off the page. I think you should be ok.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails