Rummanah Aasi
  It's been a while since I last posted book and movie news! And boy, do I have lot of things to report!

Sequels, which I can't wait to read!

  • Neal Shusterman is working on a sequel to his phenomenal book called Unwind. The sequel will be called Unwholly and it is slated to be released in 2012.
  • Gayle Forman is working on the sequel to her fabulous book, If I Stay, called Where She Went. It is expected to come out in April 4, 2011. According to Collider.com, the movie If I Stay is in works. Currently, Catherine Hardwicke is attached to direct the movie while Shauna Cross is adapting the novel. According to Entertainment Weekley, the movie is to start filming next year. No cast has been decided. 
  • Melissa Marr's best selling Wicked Lovely series books will come to an end. The last book will be Darkest Mercy and it will be out on Feb. 2011. You can see the cover and read the snippet on the Harper Collins website. I just read on PR Newswire that the Wicked Lovely series was picked up by Universal Pictures. Apparently, Vince Vaugn's production company, Wild West Picture Show Productions, will produce the movie and Caroline Thompson (Edward Scissorhands) will write the screenplay according to
New exciting series and or stand alone books, which I can't wait to read!

  • Melissa Marr will be working on a new YA trilogy. The new series revolves around a girl assassin, a demon with a soul, and a world where myth and science meet. Look for the first book to be released in 2013!
  • Lisa McMann is working hard on another creepy parannormal with a love story stand alone book called Cryer's Cross, coming Feb 8, 2011! 
  • We can expect a new book by Sarah Dessen, the queen of YA romance, later this year. The book is called What Happened to Goodbye
  • Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympian series will be adapted into graphic novels! Coming soon on Oct 12, 2010!
On to Movie news....

  • According to Collider, Gary Ross (Seabiscut), Sam Mendes (Away We Go), and David Slade (Eclipse) are the front running contenders to direct Suzanne Collins blockbuster Hunger Games movie. I, personally, would want Mendes to direct. Let's keep our fingers cross that this groundbreaking YA book isn't slaughtered at the box office. 
  • Lois Lowry's classic novel, The Giver, will be made into a movie. According to the Internet Movie Database, no director, writer or cast has been named.The movie is under development.
    • Kazuo Ishiguro bestseller, Never Let Me Go, is being made into a movie starring Keira Knightley and Carey Mulligan. 


    Maybe this will help me understand the book and pick it up again. I gave up reading it after pg. 50.

    • Freakonomics will be turned into a documentary movie. Another book that didn't really interest me. Check out the trailer:


    • Ned Vizzini's YA book, It's Kind of a Funny Story will be releasing in a few weeks:


    • Last but not least, Jonathan Swift's classic satire, Gulliver's Travels, will be updated by Jack Black and crew:


    Cool, huh? So, which one will you see?
    4 Responses
    1. danya Says:

      Wow, that's lots of movie news I wasn't aware of! I think I might go see The Giver and Hunger Games provided that they got really good reviews...if they butchered the books I just couldn't stand it.


    2. Amy Blowes Says:

      I just don't understand the appeal of feature length documentaries, I haven't read Freakoanomics and there were some parts of the trailer which said some interesting things...but really, movie length?

      Again, I haven't read Never Let Me Go, but judging from the trailer the parts in the school seem interesting and dark and then I lost interest with when they were grown up. What was it that made you give up on the book?

      The Babbling Bookcase


    3. MZMollyTL Says:

      I agree with Danya. My family and I saw the Percy Jackson movie and then, based on Rum's (excellent) advice, we began to read the series. We're on the last book and I have to agree with Rum that the movie was awful and the books are great. Considering how much I love the Hunger Games series, I really hope the movie is at least satisfactory.


    4. @Danya: I totally agree. I've seen too many book to movie adaptations that are quite horrific. Let's hope the studios try making a GOOD film instead of looking for the next "Twilight" movie (which made a lot of money)

      @Amy: I can't see "Freakonomics" as a feature length movie either, which is why it surprised me that it's going to be a documentary. As for "Never Let Me Go", I think I got lost in the plot and thought it moved too slow for me.

      @Macphail: I'm THRILLED that you all love the Percy Jackson books! Stay tuned for the graphic novels plus the new series "Heroes of Olympus"! I'm SO excited!


    Post a Comment

    Related Posts with Thumbnails