Rummanah Aasi
  I had a very interesting reading experience with the Absolute Boyfriend manga series. I enjoyed the first two volumes of the series but then my enjoyment quickly changed to annoyance and frustration. Volume 5 reminded me why I picked up this series: trying to find out what the mangaka is saying about romance particularly from the female point of view. Volume 6 had me puzzled with an ending that I didn't see coming.

Description: Riiko has finally chosen her one true boyfriend, but she begins to have doubts as she realizes her life will quickly change after learning new information. Will Riiko and her boyfriend have their happily-ever-after?

Review: After reading the previous volumes and waiting for Riiko to make her decision as to who she wants to claim as a boyfriend, we finally have an answer. Well, kinda sort of. See, Riiko announces who "the one" is for her, but then she quickly starts to doubt herself when she realizes things will begin to change. Volume 6 gave the manga a new direction and tone. This series is known for its silly plot line and characters, but now it suddenly becomes serious and thoughtful as if it was an after thought. In my past reviews, I mentioned that I liked Soshi. I also liked Night, the figurine programmed to love Riiko, too. Night is the ideal boyfriend. Heck, he was created for that purpose, but he wasn't real. I wonder if Watase was trying to make a point that we tend to fall for the unattainable perfection. She made an interesting note in one the side panels of the manga that her readership was divided on who Riiko should end up with: the older women preferred Night while the younger ones liked Soshi more. I can see the appeal for both guys, but again one is real and the other is not!
  I liked Riiko at the start. She was a bubbly, cute gal who got herself in horrible situations, however as the series went on, she never seemed to learn from her mistakes nor did her love interests allow her to think for herself. She coddled by them and when they seemed disinterested in her, she felt lost. I'd like a heroine who has a mind of her own and who feels somewhat secure in herself (we all have our insecurities). While I had mixed feelings about this series, I did somewhat enjoy it. Perhaps I would have liked it more by just taking it at its face value and not looking for something more deep.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Words of Caution: This series has strong sexual overtones. There is also minor nudity. Rated OT for Old Teens.

If you like this book try: Girl Parts by John M. Cusik, The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee
6 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    Who'd she pick!? Too bad Riiko doesn't seem to learn from her past actions and mistakes, that would get a bit frustrating, especially if this is the last volume (is it?) and you know her progression is over.


  2. Jenny: Check your email. :) Yep, her progression is over. I really think she's the type of girl who needs a guy with her ALL the time.


  3. Hmmmmm Riiko sounds like she'd bug me a wee bit, but I still love the sound of this series. Fab honest review :)


  4. Interesting that you grew to like this more by the end. Is this the last volume? I'm not sure if I want to read it, but it is curious.


  5. Alison: Yes, this is the last volume. I think I was expecting something profound out of it and was just left with the "meh" feeling. I kinda feel cheated. LOL!


  6. Uh oh sounds like this series didn't get any better. It sounds like borrow for the library type of series. Awesome review :)


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails