Rummanah Aasi
  This week has been insane with the start of a brand new school year. I'm trying to keep sane by keeping copious "to do lists" to help me stay on track. What better way to consider this line of thought than by posting a Top 10 Tuesday, which is a fabulous meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish? Today's topic is a list of books that we loved but never got around to writing a book review. I've broken my list to include Adult, YA, and Children books.

Top 10 Books I Loved But Never Wrote A Review For (in no particular order)


Adult


Arthur and George by Julian Barnes- A historical fiction novel that I randomly chose at the library one day. It's based on a true life court drama. The lives of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and country lawyer George Edalji intersect when Doyle becomes interested in investigating the case of Edalji who has been wrongfully convicted of writing obscene letters and mutilating cattle in a case clearly influenced by racial prejudice.

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton- Possibly my favorite Edith Wharton book. Wharton expertly shows how the ways money, romance, and social standing intertwine in the society of the early 20th century. Some may call it a romance gone wrong, but I see it as a female trying to break the mold of a woman needing a man to be happy and stand financially independent.

Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel- My first adventure into magical realism. Tita is the youngest of three daughters born to Mama Elena, virago extraordinaire and owner of the de la Garza ranch. Tita falls in love with Pedro, but Mama Elena will not allow them to marry, since family tradition dictates that the youngest daughter remain at home to care for her mother. Instead, Mama Elena orchestrates the marriage of Pedro and her eldest daughter Rosaura and forces Tita to prepare the wedding dinner. What ensues is a poignant, funny story of love, life, and food which proves that all three are entwined and interdependent.


YA

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak- A fabulously written book on World War II written from the perspective of Death. It was originally released as an adult book in Australia (the author's home) but released in the US as YA. I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't enjoyed this book. Recommended for Grades 8 and up.


Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin- If you were given a chance for a redo on your life, would you take it? Naomi hits her head after falling and she can't remember anything that happened since sixth grade. She is by turns mystified and startled by evidence of her present life, Eventually, the memories return, leaving Naomi questioning the basis of a new, intense romance, and wondering which of her two lives, present or former, represents her most authentic self.Contemporary realism at its finest.

Wildly Romantic: The English Romantic Poets: The Mad, Bad, and the Dangerous by Catherine Andornik - This is definitely not your typical YA literary biography. In this book you get the juicy scandals that were left out while you were in English class. Did you know that some were drug addicts and/or sex addicts? The author reveals all when she weaves together the lives of the groundbreaking Romantic poets--Wordsworth, Coleridge, Byron, Shelley, and Keats. It's definitely made me think twice about loving the writer or just loving the work.

Feed by M.T. Anderson- One of the most underrated YA science fiction book ever. A disturbingly realistic satire set in a future world where television and computers are connected directly into people's brains when they are babies. The result is a chillingly recognizable consumer society where empty-headed kids are driven by fashion and shopping and the avid pursuit of silly entertainment--even on trips to Mars and the moon--and by constant customized murmurs in their brains of encouragement to buy, buy, buy. Sound familiar?


Children

Guts by Gary Paulsen- I loved Hatchet and this book explains where Paulsen got his inspiration for his Brian series. It's a very quick nonfiction narrative (i.e. reads like a novel).

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit- I finally got around to reading this for my Children's Lit class for library school. Was anyone else freaked out about the man in the yellow suit? What was his deal?

Under the Persimmon Tree by Suzanne Staples Fisher- A heartbreaking novel about Afghanistan post 9/11 that was really well done.

Have you read any of these books before? Are there any books that you've read but never written a book review for?I'm always looking for recommendations! Just leave them in the comments.
9 Responses
  1. Tuck Everlasting was one of my favorite childhood reads. I must have read it a dozen times. Arthur and George sounds very interesting.


  2. Jenny Says:

    I remember reading Tuck Everlasting! I loved that book though I don't remember too many specifics. I enjoyed the movie too, it was cute:) I need to read The Book Thief, I've heard nothing but good things about that one!


  3. Jenni Elyse Says:

    I'm still reading The Book Thief. I love it so far. It's just not a quick read for me. But, the story is so intriguing and endearing.


  4. MJ Says:

    Ooooh, I love some of your choices! The Book Thief, The House of Mirth, Like Water for Chocolate - I enjoyed all of these.

    My list is here.


  5. Jules Says:

    Hated Feed. Ugh. I understand its impact conceptually, I just didn't like it.

    I've been really good about writing reviews the last couple of years so I have to go back to think about ones I didn't write something on and could only come up with four:
    The David Eddings Mallorean series
    A Town Like Alice
    Ender's Game
    and believe it or not, Pride & Prejudice. It just seemed redundant at the time. What was I going to say about it that hadn't already been said. It was enough to identify it as a favorite. I guess Harry Potter is in this category too.


  6. Somehow I completely missed Feed. Need to go add it to my wishlist. Right now.


  7. I just adore(d) Tuck Everlasting - that will always be on my list of favourites, I'm sure :)


  8. Sadly, I haven't read any on the list but The Book Thief is one that I am planning on reading soon :)


  9. Gah! I've had The Book Thief on my TBR forever.

    I read House of Mirth so long ago, but I don't remember thinking it romantic at all, just terribly sad.

    Thanks for sharing some tidbits on these books. :)


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails