Rummanah Aasi
  Clockwork Princess was one of the books I looked forward to reading the most this year. I was excited and nervous that the epic conclusion of one of my favorite series might not be good. I avoided reading reviews of all kinds and hid the book from my sight when I purchased it. I was finally coaxed by a few friends to read it over Spring Break, mostly because they needed someone to talk about the book. I was a mess while reading, with Clare playing cat's cradle with my emotions. The Infernal Devices, in my opinion, outshines the Mortal Instruments, a series that I think that has lasted longer than it should have. I will definitely revisit these characters with a reread.

Description (from the publisher): A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.
  Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.
  As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?


Review: Clockwork Princess is a fantastic conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy and it pulls at your heartstrings from beginning to end. Politics, clockworks, heartache, hope, and a very cruel love triangle are the focus of the book.  There is never a dull moment in the story, from the hidden doors of politics and intrigue to the painful romantic drama as Jem, Tessa, and Will fight to keep their emotions in check.
  One major criticism that I've heard about the Infernal Devices is that the characters are very similar to those of the Mortal Instruments series, but I would have to disagree. Clare definitely fleshes out the personalities, flaws and all, on each of the characters including the important secondary characters who also hold an important role in the story's arc. I was and still am a huge Jem fan but I began to appreciate and like Will just as much, which is a true sign of the character arc. Though romantic love is the story's backbone, Clare also addresses the importance of familial love, not just between siblings but also between Will and Jem who are very much like brothers.Clare makes you care and invest your heart in her characters, which is why I shed many tears, both happy and sad, while reading the book.
  I was very surprised and delighted how the love triangle was solved. Clare pulls an interesting twist and her characters take time to reflect and act on their feelings. Of course there is lots of brooding, sighing, and longing gazes exchanged which some readers might find too schmaltzy but I didn't care. I loved every minute of the romance and I just wanted everyone to be happy. The large questions of what is Mortmain's real plan and what paranormal/supernatural being is Tessa exactly are addressed. There were a few twists that I didn't see coming and some of which I don't exactly understand at the moment and I hope Clare does address them in the final installment of the Mortal Instrument series. The book ends, of course, in Clare's trademark climactic battle, cinematic as always.
  Those who are on the fence about starting the long and intimidating Mortal Instruments series should seriously consider picking up the prequel series. All three books are now available and there is no excuse to not read them. Just be sure to set aside plenty of time to get lost in a good book. 

Rating: 5 stars

Words of Caution: There is some strong fantasy violence and a small non-explicit sex scene. Recommended for Grades 8 and up.

If you like this book try: Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger, The Unnaturalists by Tiffany Trent, Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray
6 Responses
  1. I'm so behind on these (and Mortal Instruments!) Some day I need to find the time....You review was inspiring!


  2. For the most part, I agree with you, Rummanah. I appreciated everything about this book, the writing, the characters, the elegance with which certain issues were handled, the pacing, the heartbreak... but not the epilogue. It felt forced and overdone to me, and I still don't quite know what to make of it.
    Other than that, this was a fabulous read. Great review!


  3. I loved this series as well, and in fact it is one of the few love triangles I tolerated. I loved the twists and surprises and the way everything played out. I am not a fan of the MI series anymore. Book four ruined it for me, I don't know whether I want to continue or not.


  4. Yes, yes. I loved this book. I loved how the romance turned out. Absolutely perfect. I was more of a Will fan but I loved Jem too.


  5. Candace Says:

    There's been a lot of mixed thoughts regarding the end, some think it's tied up too nicely, but I really loved it! Fantastic review, I'm glad you loved this one as well!


  6. So I read the first two Mortal Instruments and have none of these. I should go back and read these. You are always explaining how to read things to me. Manga, this series. Not sure what I'd do without you! I am so glad you enjoyed this series so much. I remember you thinking the 4th and 5th books in TMI were unnecessary. Hope that last one is stupendous to make up for them. Whole lot of pressure for Cassie Clare!

    This is a great review! I don't see you gushing over romance that much so when you do I know it's done well and adds a lot to the story. And obviously you're a huge fan! But I would pick Simon over Jace. I'm with you there.

    Heather


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails