Rummanah Aasi



I usually try to fit in some spooky reads for Halloween to get me in the spirit of the holiday. Below are some of the books that I thought about reading next month. Have you read any of these books? Are they Halloween worthy?


Adult Picks

I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, especially where is there lots of blood, guts, and gore so I thought I would read some of the classic books that I haven't had a chance to read yet. 

First published in 1959, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House has been hailed as a perfect work of unnerving terror. It is the story of four seekers who arrive at a notoriously unfriendly pile called Hill House: Dr. Montague, an occult scholar looking for solid evidence of a "haunting"; Theodora, his lighthearted assistant; Eleanor, a friendless, fragile young woman well acquainted with poltergeists; and Luke, the future heir of Hill House. At first, their stay seems destined to be merely a spooky encounter with inexplicable phenomena. But Hill House is gathering its powers—and soon it will choose one of them to make its own.

I've read The Lottery by Shirley Jackson which was extremely disturbing and creepy, but I always wanted to read her full length novel. I know the book has been adapted into films many times. 


Danny was only five years old but in the words of old Mr Halloran he was a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father became caretaker of the Overlook Hotel his visions grew frighteningly out of control. 
  As winter closed in and blizzards cut them off, the hotel seemed to develop a life of its own. It was meant to be empty, but who was the lady in Room 217, and who were the masked guests going up and down in the elevator? And why did the hedges shaped like animals seem so alive? 
Somewhere, somehow there was an evil force in the hotel - and that too had begun to shine.

The only book I read by Stephen King was Carrie and I wasn't really impressed by it, but I'm willing to give the master of contemporary horror another shot. I thought the Shining would be a good pick considering I can only watch the first 30 min of the movie that starrs Jack Nicholson. I'm also curious as how King wrote the sequel to this book with Doctor Sleep


YA Picks

Nothing much exciting rolls through Violet White’s sleepy, seaside town… until River West comes along. River rents the guest house behind Violet’s crumbling estate, and as eerie, grim things start to happen, Violet begins to wonder about the boy living in her backyard. Is River just a crooked-smiling liar with pretty eyes and a mysterious past? Or could he be something more?
  Violet’s grandmother always warned her about the Devil, but she never said he could be a dark-haired boy who takes naps in the sun, who likes coffee, who kisses you in a cemetery... who makes you want to kiss back. Violet’s already so knee-deep in love, she can’t see straight. And that’s just how River likes it.

I've been saving my ARC of this book for Halloween. It's got the perfect ambiance along with a really catchy description. I really hope it doesn't disappoint!


Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.
  Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.
  As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.

I've bought The Diviners the day it came out, went to an author event, and still have not managed to read this book yet. I just haven't had time, but I'm determined to read this one for October! I've loved everything that I've read by Libba Bray so far so I'm sure I'm going to love this one as well. 

Children Picks

Beware of Long Lankin, that lives in the moss. . . .When Cora and her younger sister, Mimi, are sent to stay with their elderly aunt in the isolated village of Byers Guerdon, they receive a less than warm welcome. Auntie Ida is eccentric and rigid, and the girls are desperate to go back to London. But what they don't know is that their aunt's life was devastated the last time two young sisters were at Guerdon Hall, and she is determined to protect her nieces from an evil that has lain hidden for years. Along with Roger and Peter, two village boys, Cora must uncover the horrifying truth that has held Bryers Guerdon in its dark grip for centuries -- before it's too late for little Mimi.

Horror stories from Britain? I'm in! After watching this chilling book trailer, I may just have to read this one with the lights on.

Neither artistic, dreamy Jenna nor surly, delinquent Lucas expected to find themselves at an invitation-only summer camp that turns problem children into prodigies. And yet, here they both are at Camp Fielding, settling in with all the other losers and misfits who’ve been shipped off by their parents in a last-ditch effort to produce a child worth bragging about.
 But strange disappearances, spooky lights in the woods, and a chilling alteration that turns the dimmest, rowdiest campers into docile zombie Einsteins have Jenna and Lucas feeling more than a little suspicious . . . and a lot afraid.

This graphic novel has gotten some great reviews and has been listed on different libraries' Halloween reading lists. It looks like a fun read.

What are you reading for Halloween?



Be sure to check out the huge and fabulous Something This Way Comes blogging event featuring loads of book reviews, giveaways, author events, and so much more! Something This Way Comes is hosted by awesome bloggers, Heidi@Rainy Day Ramblings Candace@Candace's Book Blog,Maja@The Nocturnal Library and Ali@My Guilty Obsession.
4 Responses
  1. I've always wanted to read The Haunting of Hill House too. Great idea!


  2. Thanks so much for the Wicked shout out! I have been working on it all morning. You have some great picks up there. I need to check out the Hill House book. I have read everything else except the children's books and I liked them all! I can't wait to read Doctor Sleep!


  3. Jess Says:

    Oh, I might have to re-read the shining for Halloween. Then maybe the sequel.


  4. Candace Says:

    Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea and The Diviners are both AMAZING! And perfect for Halloween!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails