Rummanah Aasi


 Banned Book Week is officially underway. I have been busy presenting and advocating our intellectual freedom to my Social Sciences and English classes. Students are shocked and appalled about the book challenges and we are having lots of great discussions. Due to time restraints, I will not be reading a banned/challenged book at the moment but I hope to do sometime this year. Check out of my Forbidden Reads feature if you are curious about some of the books that I have lighted on this blog. You can also see what Banned/Challenged Books I've read in 2010, 2011, and 2012.

Here is an infographic from the American Library Association on the Top 10 2014 Book Challenges:

Click the caption to enlarge


It is important to note how diversity in books are widely targeted in 2014. I really don't see that declining. I've read 8 books on this list including the two graphic novels, Saga by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples and Drama by Raina Telegeimer. How many have you read? Any books on this list that surprised you? Let me know in the comments!

3 Responses
  1. Shocking as always the books on that list. The Jaycee Dugard one got me, and the picture book just because it features a different kind of family. Book banning really bugs me.


  2. Kindlemom Says:

    Thank you so much for posting about this! I know I have read a couple from the list but I need to reread it and see just how many. I'm always curious to see what has made the list again each year. :(


  3. I normally do a lot in my library to promote the perils of book banning. This year, not so much. I have been slammed with our new iPad rollout and just couldn't generate the intensity required. How's things go in your library?


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails