Rummanah Aasi

 Although I'm still wrapping up a few left over reads for this year I wanted to list my favorite books of 2016.  I had a great reading year and interestingly enough, a good running streak in series. I hope it continues in 2017. I have listed the books in alphabetical order by the title of the book and provided a link to my review if it is available. I still have to write a few reviews for a few of them, which I hope to do so in the next few days.


Blood Passage by Heather Demetrios (Dark Caravan Cycle #2):  Blood Passage deftly avoids the middle book syndrome by providing a complex, winding journey full of unexpected twists and turns that delivers more action, romance, and world building than its predecessor.








A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2) by Sarah J. Maas: Maas broadens her world building and thoroughly examines the Night Court. I was mesmerized by its descriptions, character, and warmth. We are also introduced to more political intrigue, romance, and wonderful, memorable secondary characters.







Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson #9): Fire Touched is another great installment in the Mercy Thompson series with plenty of action, tender and sad moments with just the right amount of humor.












March: Book 2 and March: Book 3 by John Lewis: A fabulous graphic novel series that depicts the highlights of the Civil Rights Movement.










Out of Darkness by Ashley Hope Perez: Reading Out of Darkness is an unforgettable and uncomfortable experience, but a necessary one. This book is not for everyone nor will it appeal to readers who crave for escapism when reading. Out of Darkness is historical fiction at its finest in which Perez highlights an unknown American tragedy along with examining the marginal lives of the time period as well as addressing issues that we are, unfortunately, facing today.





The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner: The Serpent King is a lyrical coming-of-age novel about three teens who are trying to escape poverty, abuse, and prejudice that follow them like shadows in their rural Tennessee town. The book is told in three, distinct, and unforgettable point of views. All of the main characters are outcasts in their own rights, but their alienation made them best friends and an incredible support group. This is my favorite debut novel of 2016.





The Sinner by Amanda Stevens (The Graveyard Queen #5): The Sinner is my second favorite book in the fabulously creepy and spooky Graveyard Queen series. While this book gave me disturbing dreams, it was compulsively readable and I just had to know what happens. Stevens has upped her game in every regard in this latest installment.







Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (Six of Crows #1): In my opinion, Six of Crows surpasses the Grisha trilogy. The writing is so much better, the characters are fantastic, layered, and multi-layered, and the plot is a pager-turner filled with action, humor, intrigue, and even some romance.








The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord: The Start of Me and You is a terrific pick for Valentines Day or any day you are in the mood for a second chance story with a sweet romance and a great cast of characters.









Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner (Starbound #3): Their Fractured Light is a great series finale to the wonderful Starbound series. The book did a great job in introducing and fleshing out new characters while completing the overarching story. There is also a nice balance between the romance, action, and science fiction that made the reading experience thoroughly enjoyable and the pages fly by.






We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson:  If you only have time to read just one YA book this year, then I would highly recommend picking up We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson. This book was exquisitely written and left me thinking about it long after I closed the last page. It is my only 5 star read of 2016.







Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk: A well written middle grade book that reminded me a lot of Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird and Arthur Miller's The Crucible.




5 Responses
  1. I'm way behind. Serpent King is the only one of those I've read. I really want to read Wolf Hollow. And I didn't know another Starbound series book was out. Lots to read next year!


  2. Kindlemom Says:

    I definitely see some favorites on here and some I still really want to read (hopefully soon!). Great list! I hope you have a wonderful and safe New year!


  3. Six of Crows, The Start of Me and You, and Their Fractured Light are definitely worthy of being favourites. I'd like to give The Serpent King or We Are the Ants a try sometime this year.


  4. danya Says:

    I haven't read any of these! I think I need to try Six of Crows, it seems to be a favourite for everybody. I read the first book in the Grisha series and wasn't thrilled by it, but it sounds like Six of Crows is a different kind of story and most reviewers seem to prefer it.

    I haven't seen much in the blogosphere about the Dark Caravan Cycle series, particularly book 2. Good to know you're enjoying it!


  5. Aylee Says:

    I think I need to bookmark this for later to remind me of what books should be on my list to read next. I've only read a couple from your list! Your last two have especially caught my interest and I need to add March to my graphic novel tbr list.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails