Rummanah Aasi
  I wasn't an avid reader until I reached about fourth grade (shocked?). I found books to be boring and another form of homework. So instead of books, I parked myself in front of the television. I remember watching episodes of the Brady Bunch. For some reason, I tend to remember more of the episodes where Jan was the main character. Do you remember the episode where Jan invented George Glass, her make believe boyfriend, because she didn't want to feel left out when others had one? Well, My Invisible Boyfriend has almost the same exact plot only it's not in the 1970s but in 2010s.



Description: While watching her friends get paired off in couples, geeky yet crafty Heidi devises a plan on creating her own boyfriend, Edward Hartley, who rides a motorcycle and loves to read poetry. When her friends start turning to Edward for relationship help and when a boy with a screen name of "a real boy" knows Heidi's dirty secret, things get interesting.

Review: While reading this book, I felt some sort of deja vu going on and I couldn't remember what exactly bugged me. It's not until I the book down did I realize that I did in fact read this story. It wasn't a book, but rather the George Glass episode of the Brady Bunch!  My Invisible Boyfriend is an fun, enjoyable, and predictable teen romance. It's not as fun as watching the George Glass episode though.
  What I didn't like about the book is that I didn't really get to know Heidi's friends that well considering they are a close knit group of friends. I knew them all superficially, so when Heidi and the gang were having problems, I didn't really care about it.
   I also had an issue with the pacing of the book. The first half is dedicated to how "Edward" is created and then during the last 50 pages or so "a real boy" comes in the picture. I would've liked a little bit more mystery to "a real boy"'s identity and perhaps a more set of complicated friends problems. I felt my attention while reading this book drifted and the charm of teen speak (think the Valley Girl dialect in a British accent) rubbed off very quickly. Nonetheless, I would recommend this book for those looking for a non-complicated, beach read. 

Rating: 2 stars

Words of Caution: There is mild language in the book.

If you like this book try: Faking It by Pete Johnson

*****

Thanks to Liberty Falls Down, I was awarded the: One Lovely Blog Award.


I'm suppose to pass this award to 15 newly discovered blogs, but since I can't narrow down a list of 15 blogs I'm going to pass this award to 4 blogs that I discovered recently:

1. I'd So Rather Be Reading
2. Between the Pages
3. Pages of my Life
4. All Consuming Books
2 Responses
  1. Hermana Maw Says:

    Thanks for the book review!


  2. OHHH!! How awesome, we are giving the award to you too, lol!

    http://idsoratherbereading.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-lovely-blog-award.html


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails