Rummanah Aasi
  I've always been fascinated with magicians and magic. More so of "what's the trick?" and less of "wow, that's kind of cool." Victor, the main character in Brian Selznick's novel Houdini Box, shares my curiosity. Unlike me, Victor takes a step further in trying to duplicate Houdini's famous tricks in order to find the answer. I'd rather watch afar. ;)

Description: Victor is one of Houdini's biggest fans. After watching and reading about Houdini's magic acts, Victor tries to implement them in hopes of discovering the famous magician's tricks. One day Victor meets his idol, who leaves him a mysterious box, which might hold the secrets to the greatest magic tricks ever performed.

Review: I really like Selznick's work, especially The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which I thought was a masterpiece. Houdini Box, my second book that I read by him, also shares similar characteristics with Hugo: a story focused on a child's fascination and determination to solve a mystery accompanied with and beautifully illustrated with dark-toned art. A younger reader can still follow Selznick's story by simply analyzing the amazing, lifelike images. Unlike Hugo, however, Houdini Box reads more of a story that focuses simply on the moods of Victor rather than a fully developed story. Nonetheless it is an enjoyable, quick read that would be great for reluctant readers.

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: None. I would recommend this book to children in grades 3 to 5th grade.

If you like this book try: The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
1 Response
  1. Daisy Says:

    The book sounds like a fun read for children but that cover is seriously scary! I feel like he's staring and my and not thinking very pretty thoughts..


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails