Rummanah Aasi

Description: In this collection of personal essays, the beloved star of Gilmore Girls and Parenthood reveals stories about life, love, and working as a woman in Hollywood—along with behind-the-scenes dispatches from the set of the new Gilmore Girls, where she plays the fast-talking Lorelai Gilmore once again.

Review: I normally don't read books by celebrities in particularly memoirs, but since I'm a huge Gilmore Girls fan and I adore Lauren Graham I was really looking forward to reading this book. This is a fun collection of essays that bring out Lauren Graham's contagious enthusiasm and giddy personality. While she does talk about Gilmore Girls and Parenthood, both of which received critical acclaim and popular viewership, Lauren also addresses her struggle with becoming an actress, addressing sexism indirectly, and her weird relationship with acting like a celebrity.
 Like her character Lorelai Gilmore, this entire book was fast, loud, hilarious, filled with pop culture references. By the end of the book you realize how incredibly down to earth Lauren is in real life and in role. While she does talk about her experiences on the set of Gilmore Girls, I was disappointed in that she didn't go beyond the surface with her look back at the show. I wasn't looking for dirty gossip or her badmouthing her costars, but more of her thoughts on her character's story arc. Be aware that if you have NOT yet watched A Year in the Life on Netflix you cannot read the last 25% of this book since there are spoilers, so before reading I highly recommend watching that first because honestly the last 25% was my favorite. Like us Lauren is also wondering if there is more Gilmore Girls to come.

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: None. Suitable for teens and adults.

If you like this book try: Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick, Bossypants by Tina Fey, Yes Please by Amy Poehler, The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer
5 Responses
  1. I keep seeing this one around, but I haven't ever watched the Gilmore Girls, gasp.... I know. Maybe I will do some binge watching while I stitch.


  2. I have not watched the Gilmore Girls. I just saw Heidi's comment so I'm not alone! :) Still, you have me even more curious about it and while I don't read many autobiographies, a few I do I seem to enjoy.


  3. I gave this to my daughter since she loves GIlmore Girls and Lauren Graham. I think school is getting in the way of her reading it.... :-)


  4. Aylee Says:

    Funny, I only JUST started watching Gilmore Girls for the first time recently. And it amuses me that this actress would be so much like her quick-talking character :) I could see myself reading this and enjoying it once I've finished the entire series + new Netflix show.


  5. Christina T Says:

    I loved Gilmore Girls but felt lukewarm about Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. I have been interested in reading this as well as Lauren's novel. Glad you enjoyed the book and that it was funny. I will have to check it out sometime.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails