Rummanah Aasi
I have been looking forward to this morning and anxiously awaiting the announcement of several Children and Young Adult book awards. There were so many great books that were published last year and I don't envy the award committee to narrow their choices to just a few. The Young Media Awards are like the Oscars for many librarians, including myself. It's one of my favorite times of the year. I usually discover new titles that I fall in love with and book talk to my students. The awards took place at the American Library Association (ALA) Midwinter Meeting at Atlanta, Georgia. Although there are many awards honored today, I was looking forward to finding out the winners for the CaldecottNewberyMorris, and of course the Michael L. Printz Award. You can find the other winners on the Association for Library Services to Children website and the Young Adult Library Services website (YALSA).

The Caldecott Medal was named in honor of  Randolph Caldecott, who was a nineteenth-century English illustrator. The award is given annually by the Association for Library Service to Children to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.

Winner of the 2017 Caldecott Medal is: 

Radiant Child: The Story of Young Artist Jean-Michel Basquiat by Javaka Steptoe




Honorees of the 2017 Caldecott are:

Leave Me Alone! by Vera Brosgol
Freedom in Congo Square by Carole Boston Weatherford
They All Saw a Cat by Brenan Wenzel


The Newbery Medal was named in the honor of John Newbery, who was an eighteenth century British bookseller. Like the Caldecott, it is also awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.


Winner of the 2017 Newbery Medal is: 

The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill


Honorees of the 2017 Newbery are:

Freedom Over Me by Ashley Bryan
Inquisitor's Tale by Adam Gidwitz
Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk


The William C. Morris YA Debut Award was first awarded in 2009 by YALSA. The award is given to a debut book published by a first-time author writing for teens and celebrating impressive new voices in young adult literature.

Winner of the 2017 Morris Award is: 

The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner


Honorees of the 2017 Morris Award are:

Girl Mans Up by M-E Girard
Rani Patel in Full Effect by Sonia Patel
The Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock
Tell Me Something Real by Calla Devlin


 The Michael L. Printz Award was named in the honor of Michael L. Printz, a school librarian in Topeaka, Kansas, who was a long-time active member of the Young Adult Library Services Association. The Michael L. Printz Award is an award given annually by the Young Adult Library Services Association to a book that exemplifies literary excellence in young adult literature.

Winner of the 2017 Michael Printz Award is: 





Honorees of the 2017 Printz Award are:

Asking For It by Louise O'Neill
Passion of Dolssa by Julie Berry
Scythe by Neal Shusterman
The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon


 Congratulations to all of today's winners! The library associations have spoken. What do you think of these book awards? Will you read the books that have won and have been honored? Did any of the award winning books surprised you?
3 Responses
  1. I am so glad to see March, Book Three doing so well and showing up on so many lists. I also am thrilled Passion of Dolssa received a Printz Honor.


  2. Christina T Says:

    I was thrilled that March vol. 3 won so many awards yesterday, especially the Printz Award. I haven't read the books yet but I just got them from the library and look forward to reading John Lewis's story.

    I was also happy that Sarah Dessen won the Margaret Edwards award and that The Sun is Also a Star was a Printz Honor recipient.


  3. Aylee Says:

    I must admit I've never really paid too much attention to these awards before, but makes me feel pretty ashamed (what kind of book lover am I??). I guess my attention was always just held by the hundreds of books that get recommended by bloggers... well, something needs to change I think. NOT that I don't trust blogger opinions, but I do want to start putting more of an emphasis on making these books a priority. Good thing those last three winners are already on my tbr - now to bump them up my list to read!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails