Rummanah Aasi
   I really enjoyed reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but to be honest I did struggle with the first half of the book. I got lost with the business angle and the information overload concerning a key family, but once I got over that hurdle it was an intense read. I was a bit worried that I would face the same dilemma with the second book, The Girl Who Played with Fire, but I was assured by many that the second book is much better. With that in mind, I waited patiently on a waiting list with other 30 patrons at my local public library and was excited to read it. Of course my advisers were right and I loved every minute of it.

Description: Mikael Blomkvist is publishing the story that exposes the extensive sex trafficking operation between Sweden and Eastern Europe, however when two investigative journalists are killed the night before the story runs and Lisbeth's hand prints are on the murder weapon, Mikael vows to clear the girl's name and find the true killer.

Review: I could not put down The Girl Who Played with Fire. From the very first page, Larrson captured my attention mainly because the second book revolves around Lisbeth a savvy, intelligent computer hacker that doesn't take nonsense from anyone. She really does remind me of a female version of Jason Bourne. A person who does not really know how much power they have until they are in a particular situation. In the first book, readers are given a hint about Lisbeth's dark past. In this book, her back story is fully explored and drives the novel. The book is written from multiple perspectives: Mikeal, his partner Berger, and the police officers assigned to Lisbeth's case, but there is only one storyline to follow, which made reading and following the author much easier. Without giving anything away, there were some surprises regarding Lisbeth's past that I didn't see coming. There are also some really cool car chases and cliffhangers. I'm really looking forward to reading the third and last book in this series. I'm not ready to say goodbye to Lisbeth.  

Rating: 5 stars

Words of Caution: Like it's predecessor, this book also contains adult situations. There is strong language and sexual content throughout the novel. The violence is much more graphic and disturbing. I would recommend this book to strong, mature teen readers, and adults who enjoy an action packed and intelligent mystery novel. 

If you like this book, try: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornest's Nest by Steig Larsson
1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    So glad you enjoyed this book, because I definitely did as well. I understand how you felt about the first bit of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I found it hard to get through as well, but I am glad I stuck with it -- I really loved all three books, but especially 2 and 3. I can't wait for you to read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, some people have criticized it, especially the first half, but I found it irresistible. Glad you enjoyed this one, happy reading to you.

    M_Dobrev


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails