Rummanah Aasi

It's Tuesday and time for another Top 10 list from The Broke and the Bookish. We all have characters we can't stand, which sometimes detriment our reading pleasure. I, personally, can't enjoy a book where I don't like the characters. The following ladies made me either chuck the book against the wall, abandon the book completely, made me walk out of a movie, or I just simply love to hate.

Top 10 Female Characters I Can't Stand

1. Catherine Earnshaw from Wuthering Heights- I'm absolutely head over heels for Heathcliff. Despite my many rereads of this book, I can't understand what he saw in Catherine. Spoiled, bratty, and shallow. Did this woman have any redeemable qualities?

2.  Madame Bovary from Madame Bovary- So it took you to sleep with the entire city of Paris in order to realize that the love you are seeking doesn't exist and I'm suppose to feel sorry for you? Sorry, but I can't help but be happy with what happened in the end to you.

3. Emma Woodhouse from Emma- The only Austen heroine who I hate with a passion. I couldn't digest her stuck up, "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude and she forced me to abandon this book by page 20. I really have no desire to pick it up again. I'd rather watch Clueless again.

4. Zoey Redbird from House of Night series- I use to tolerate you. I know that people make mistakes and then they try to correct them, but when you keep making the same mistakes over and over again and you can't pick one guy from a harem growing around you, it gets old really quickly.

5. Ever from Evermore- How can you like a guy who keeps making you feel bad for not sleeping with him? Grow a spine and get a personality.

6. Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind-  If you ever want me to get out of a room, put this movie on and I will leave immediately. All of the characters are atrocious. While people may admire Scarlett for her determination, but in the words of Rhett, "Frankly, my dear. I don't give a damn". Yep, that pretty much sums up my feelings for her, the movie, and book.

7.  Penelope Hayes from the Luxe series- I loved watching you scheme your way to the top. I just have one question for you: Are you happy now?

8. Jenny Cavilleri from Love Story- I didn't read the book, but my sisters and I watched the movie. It was pure torture. I might be the only one who clapped and said "Finally!" when the movie ended.  To my sisters, "Love means saying your sorry for making me watch this movie with you".

9.  9. Circe from the Gemma Doyle series- A megalomaniac witch. Need I say more?

10. Helen of Troy from the Illiad and various other myths/plays- I can't believe you don't feel one ounce of guilt of bringing down destruction on a city.  

 Which ladies irritate the heck out of you?
16 Responses
  1. Ash from Wicked Lovely... Gah! Whine & complain much???


  2. Interesting, Ash didn't really bother me. Ani, on the other hand, irritated me.


  3. Jenni Elyse Says:

    Great list! This one was fun, wasn't it?


  4. Jules Says:

    Where's Mrs. Danvers from Rebecca? Or Prof. Umbridge from Harry Potter? You've made some unconventional, but very well thought out choices and I've got to respect that. I'm with you on Catherine, although I didn't find her so offensive in the 2009 movie version with Tom Hardy. You could feel how much she loved Heathcliff and was torn by the expectations of others. I'm completely with you on Zoey Redbird. Idiot. I've stopped reading the series altogether.


  5. Thanks, Jenni.

    Jules: I put those ladies on the despicable list of characters. I didn't want to repeat the same people over and over again.


  6. Una Says:

    I'm totally with you on Zoey...I've stopped reading the series because I can't take that/her anymore.

    Good choices. I really enjoyed this post!

    My all time hated character is mainly because of the book, but the main character of "She's Come Undone." One of the few books I can say I truly hate.


  7. Lisa Says:

    Scarlett was a mean and contriving person, but she still holds a place in my heart.


  8. Una: I thought after reading the first 5 books, she would snap out of it but it just went downhill from there. I couldn't get into "She's Come Undone". No, I don't think I'll bother. ;)

    Lisa: That seems to be a common reaction to Scarlett.


  9. danya Says:

    Catherine from Wuthering Heights made my list as well. I know how much you like the book and you know how much I dislike it, LOL. I agree I can't see what Heathcliff saw in her, but then again I can't see what she saw in him...I guess they were well-matched? :D

    And no, she had no redeemable qualities.


  10. Lark Andrea Says:

    Zoey and Ever started to get on my nerves too. I had to stop reading their series because they made me so angry.

    Reading Lark's Top 10


  11. Danya: I'll give you Catherine, but I really think Heathcliff was a misunderstood misfit. At least that's my interpretation and I'm sticking to it. ;)

    Andrea: I only read Evermore because it was on the IL Abraham Lincoln List (which is kinda like the Teen Choice Awards). I would have never picked it up on my own. As for HON, I kept seeing my students reading this series and well, curiosity got the best of me.


  12. Emma? She evolves into a girl with who understands how "bad" she was. I put Scarlet O'Hara on my list. I hate her, but I root for her throughout the book!


  13. Anne: Yes, Emma and I know the joke is on her but I couldn't wait that long to see the transformation.


  14. Jenny Says:

    I definitely agree with you on Zoey from the House of Night series, I had to finally give up on those books when the third guy entered the picture and she was mooning over all of three. And you're right, she does make the same mistakes again and again! This is such a fun list:)


  15. I didn't like Ever, either... but I was going from more of a "mean girls" perspective, so she didn't make my list. She was just annoying... not really mean.


  16. kat Says:

    Helen of Troy! Such a good pick. I was ALWAYS like geez woman, you could have stopped that whole war if you had just gone home or something. But noooo you had to sit there being his lady and just watch everyone die. arg. slap needed for sure.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails