Rummanah Aasi
  For those of you who are thinking about dipping your toes in the vast water of the urban fantasy genre, I would suggest starting with the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. The characters and world building are excellent. There are currently 7 books in the series with book 8 coming soon next year. I highly recommended reading the series in order before Frost Burned to really see the character growth arc and prevent any big spoilers.

Description: Mercy Thompson’s life has undergone a seismic change. Becoming the mate of Adam Hauptman—the charismatic Alpha of the local werewolf pack—has made her a stepmother to his daughter Jesse, a relationship that brings moments of blissful normalcy to Mercy’s life. But on the edges of humanity, what passes for a minor mishap on an ordinary day can turn into so much more.…
  After an accident in bumper-to-bumper traffic, Mercy and Jesse can’t reach Adam—or anyone else in the pack for that matter. They’ve all been abducted. Through their mating bond, all Mercy knows is that Adam is angry and in pain. With the werewolves fighting a political battle to gain acceptance from the public, Mercy fears Adam’s disappearance may be related—and that he and the pack are in serious danger. Outclassed and on her own, Mercy may be forced to seek assistance from any ally she can get, no matter how unlikely.

Review: With the entirely forgettable and disappointing, River Marked, Frost Burned returns the action and great characterizations to the Mercy Thompson novels. Mercy is now adjusting to her new life, being the mate of an incredible alpha male in a wolf pack. She is liked, wholly accepted by some and others can't wrap the idea of a coyote being in charge of them. Briggs does an excellent job in creating both main and secondary characters who you care for just like your own family. The absence of the secondary characters was largely and immediately felt in River Marked and though present in Frost Burned they are remote.
  The story starts off with a bang as Adam and virtually his entirely pack are kidnapped and interrogated. The fey have declared a basically all out war and any one who is associate with the fey are in danger. The action is constant which made the pages fly by, however, we didn't get a chance to catch our breaths and really process all the changes that were going on. Mercy has to act the part of second in command, find help from unlikely allies, and move beyond her comfort zone to protect the man she loves and the pack.
  I loved being back with Mercy and company, but I couldn't shake off a nagging feeling that something was missing in this book. I couldn't really pin point it, but the story just seemed a bit too tame and easily solved despite the huge odds that the pack faces. While I like the romance between Adam and Mercy, I just think the couple has lost its spark and chemistry. I hope that spark returns in the next book. I did like, however, the exploration of the significance of being a pack in this book. I also liked that we got a chance to get better acquainted with a special character that we met in Silver Borne, but I really missed Sam in this book. Where was he? Overall, Frost Burned is an enjoyable read and a good addition to the Mercy Thompson series but I think the author could do better.

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: Strong violence and language. Recommended for older teens and adults.

If you like this book try: Night Broken by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thomspon #8) due out March 2014, Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs, Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, Chicago Vampire series by Chloe Neil
4 Responses
  1. I want to get to this one. I know what you mean about River Marked, I am glad this one was better. I agree, not having Sam is disappointing!


  2. Jenny Says:

    Everyone seems to be pretty "meh" about River Marked, do you think I could just skip it and read this one Rummanah? I'm glad this one is a bit more action packed though I'm bummed the spark between Adam and Mercy has dimmed a bit, though that often happens for me with series that stick with the same romantic pair for 7+ books. Like Cat and Bones. I love them, but their chemistry isn't quite where it was in the beginning either. Fingers crossed it returns for Adam and Mercy in the next book because I do adore them!


  3. Small Review Says:

    I've been so curious about this series, but I'm still not convinced. Adult paranormal romance is a really hit or miss genre for me. But....people do consistently rave about this series. But, a fizzling romance and lackluster books in the series...agh, I don't know! I'm still on the fence :P


  4. I don't know if I'd be able to stick with a series for seven books - Harry Potter being the exception - so I'm a little in awe of you for that reason :) It's too bad though that you feel the main couple has lost their spark.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails