Rummanah Aasi
   I first heard of The Prophecy of Sisters by Michelle Zink on Teen Reads. I always visit Teen Reads to find out the latest YA books as well as to read book reviews on books that I'm debating on whether or not to pick a book up. I highly recommend teens, parents, teachers, and librarians to book mark Teen Reads and follow it closely to see not only what is popular in Young Adult Literature, but also read author interviews and book reviews.

Description (from the publisher's website): An ancient prophecy divides two sisters. One good. One evil.
Only one will prevail…Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become fierce enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in an age-old battle that could have consequences of biblical proportions. Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust. They just know they can't trust each other.



Review:   I really enjoyed reading The Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink. I was immediately drawn to the book's Gothic tone and ambiance, which reminded me a lot of  the Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray (which I highly recommend if you have not read it!). The story takes place in 19th century New York and opens at the sister's father's funeral. We quickly learn that their father died under mysterious circumstances. Lia, bears the mark of the Jorgumand (a snake devouring itself) on her wrist, but does not know what it means. After discovering a lost book in her father's library, she soon learns that she and her twin sister, Alice, are fated to play crucial opposing roles in a mystical struggle that goes back to the dawn of time. Only they can prevent or cause the Apocalypse, but which role will they play?
      The Prophecy of the Sisters as the title suggests is clearly a plot driven novel. Understanding the prophecy takes front stage as our characters try to figure out which role they play in it. There is not much character development, which I didn't mind because I was too fascinated in the prophecy itself. I have never read a prophecy in a book, which I can recall, in where the fate of the world lies in the hands of solely two female identical twins and not a love triangle involved in the mix. I liked the imagery and the dichotomy that author describes in the novel. Lia and Alice are complete opposites, I just only wish we got to see more of this in terms of dialogue and character development in the novel and I hope this is present in the next two books in the series..
     Although there is a love story in the novel, it is innocent and does not deter from the story. The book ends with a promise of a sequel. The second book, Guardian of the Gate will be out this fall. I really look forward to reading Guardian of the Gate and I hope you decide to pick up The Prophecy of the Sisters.  

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: Magic has a large role in the book. Lia's trip to the Otherworlds is PG-13 scary and maybe a bit too much for elementary school readers. I would recommend the book to strong 6th graders and up.

If you like this book, try: Guardian of the Gate (Book 2 of the Prophecy of the Sisters Trilogy, The Gemma Doyle Series by Libba Bray or The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare.
1 Response
  1. Safoora Says:

    This sounds amazing! I'm going to check this out after I'm done reading "Fallen," "Hush Hush," and "Wicked Lovely."


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails