Rummanah Aasi
   I pre-ordered my copy of Clockwork Prince as soon as I had finished Clockwork Angel, but it took me months to actually read it. Why? After being horribly disappointed by City of Lost Souls, the last thing I needed was another book from Clare that suffered from middle book syndrome and I needed time to get over my bad book aftertaste. I happy to say that Clockwork Prince not only avoids the middle book syndrome, but it also reminded me of why I loved the world of the Shadowhunters.

Description: As the Council attempts to strip Charlotte of her power, sixteen-year-old orphaned shape-changer Tessa Gray works with the London Shadowhunters to find the Magister and destroy his clockwork army, learning the secret of her own identity while investigating his past.

Review: Tessa is a shape-shifting Shadowhunter who is becoming accustomed to her powers. In the middle of trying to find out more about her past and be thrust in the middle of all the magic, intrigue and mystery in Victorian England, but the  relationships between Tessa, the enigmatic Will, and the thoughtful, sensitive Jem is the crux of the story.
  Clockwork Prince picks up immediately where Clockwork Angel left its readers. There is hardly any background information given, which for me was problematic since I have read the first book about a year ago. I did forget about some important characters and key events. After a provocative and straight-forward prologue, the story begins at the London Institute of Shadowhunters. The leaders of the Institute are given a two week deadline to find the evil Magister, who is still determined to gain control of Tessa’s powers and bring down the Enclave. Tessa and the Shadowhunters must battle dreadful clockwork creatures, demons, uncover hidden secrets and even treachery within their own ranks before everything around them is forever altered. We are also given tidbits on how the ties between the Lightwoods and Herondale families are formed. In addition to following our three main protagonists, we are also given more time with other secondary characters such as Jessamine, Henry, Charlotte, and Sophie as well as introduced to new characters.
   Unlike Clockwork Angel which focused more on the time period and action, Clockwork Prince has a slow burning plot that is dedicated to character development and relationships. Tessa becomes more sure of her unique position and powers. She is even more endearing in this book, because she is calm, level headed, and taking her obstacles in stride. I admire how she tries to approach her ever-changing relationships with Jem and Will, which deepens in a life-changing way without being wishy washy. Jem and Will both have enough time to come into their own as characters as well as have their individual alone moments to shine with Tessa, which provides lots of swooningly romantic and wildly sensual moments with our heroine. Jem unexpectedly reveals a new side to him, a man who doesn't want to be only known as the "sick one", and we finally discover the devastating secret in handsome, bad-boy Will’s tragic past. As you have probably guessed, Clockwork Prince has a love triangle and I think it's one of the most well-written love triangles I’ve read in a long time, not only Victorian with its timing and circumstances, but also a very hard one to solve. Tessa is torn between two very attractive and honorable boys; there are good reasons for Tessa to love them both, but also excellent reasons for her to give her heart to neither. I'm on and still remain Team Jem, but I will admit that Will has also won me over in Clockwork Prince.
  In addition to the romantic relationships, we are also shown the depth of Will's and Jem's friendship. Both searching for understanding, attachment, honor, and loyalty from one another. It is their strong connection to one another that makes the love triangle with Tessa even more potent. It is going to be hard to be with one without wounding the other. Sacrifice, love, honor, duty- all important ingredients of being a Shadowhunter, but what do you do if your heart is torn into all of these parts?
  Clockwork Prince has several important revelations hidden in the prose and a wicked cliffhanger. If you have been disappointed with the Mortal Instruments series or simply just can't get into it, I think you should try the Infernal Devices. Clare's writing is much stronger and more concise. I think it goes without saying that I'm really excited for Clockwork Princess and it might wise of me to do a quick reread of the first two books of the Infernal Devices before jumping with its concluding volume.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Words of Caution: There is some strong violence, minor language, and a scene at an opium-like den. Recommended for Grades 7 and up.

If you like this book try: The Gemma Doyle series by Libba Bray, Prophecy of Sisters by Michelle Zink, or The Mortal Instrument series by Cassandra Clare
5 Responses
  1. Oh. This is a great review. Made me want to run and get it right now. Especially since, like you said, I've probably forgotten too much from the first one. Hate the huge cliffhanger, but I've come to expect that. Glad you liked this one so much. Thanks!


  2. I'm glad you liked it! Awesome review. I personally hated it, and had quite a few issues with it, which led me to stop reading CC's series. :(


  3. Whoa. Okay, then. I need to hurry up and read this. I loved the first book, but I didn't have the second one around when I finished it, and to be honest, I was a bit scared of the love triangle, but I'm happy to know that it's well-written at least.
    I'll try to get it on audio tomorrow and start right away.


  4. Candace Says:

    I'm like you, I had it preordered but now its sat on my shelf FOREVER and I still haven't read it! That is horrible! But I'm excited to pick it up as your review has renewed my interest. So happy to hear it didn't disappoint!


  5. Jenny Says:

    "As you have probably guessed, Clockwork Prince has a love triangle and I think it's one of the most well-written love triangles I’ve read in a long time, not only Victorian with its timing and circumstances, but also a very hard one to solve."

    SO glad you said that Rummanah! I've been putting this book off for a while just because I knew the love triangle would becoming a bigger issue and it made me nervous. I'm excited to know it's really well done and I'm greatly looking forward to development of the relationships:) Beautiful review!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails