Rummanah Aasi
 Manga Mondays is a meme hosted by Alison at Alison Can Read where bloggers can share their passion for reading mangas. It's a great place to get new manga titles to try and to meet new bloggers. At the moment, I've got sucked into the world of Nana where music is the back drop and fuels the characters' passions and where love and heartbreak go hand in hand.

Description (abridged to avoid major spoilers): Tragedy strikes the world of Nana. One horrible accident will change the course of everyone's future...

Review: While Volume 20 left me heart broken with lots of foreshadowing, Volume 21 tore my heart asunder. The story is cloaked in sadness and grief as we lose one vital character from the manga series. The main arc of this story is watching how each character reacts and deals with the loss. Once again the art of Yazawa is impeccable. She deftly uses wordless panels to show her characters' emotions without relying on wordy dialogue. It is also obvious that the author isn't shy away from causing her characters pain, but that's what gives this otherwise melodramatic soap opera manga some realism.
 Other readers have Nana complained that the series focused too much on the various character relationships, watching who breaks up and who gets together. I would argue, however, that each relationship regardless how I feel about them adds an additional layer to the character's personality. There is no doubt that Volume 20 and 21 are the climax of the series providing us with a new story arc, however, the series is currently on hiatus since 2010 due to the author's illness. I really hope that author picks up the series again as many fans, including myself, need some closure. Perhaps I can relive the series by watching the anime and/or live action movies based on the series.

Rated: 5 stars

Words of Caution: Mature themes and language. Recommended for mature teens and adults only.

If you like this book try: We Were There by Yuuki Obata, Honey and Clover by Chica Umino, Tramps Like Us by Yayoi Ogawa
2 Responses
  1. Jenny Says:

    THE PAIN RUMMANAH, THE PAIN! I can't deal with it. I'm really hoping the author comes back to this series and things go in a happier direction. I can't wait to see what manga series you're going to pick up next, though if it's as drama-filled as this one I don't know if my poor battered heart can take it:)


  2. Oh NO! It leaves you like this! And me not ready to discuss it yet. I asked my friend that reads manga exclusively if he'd read it and he said he'd heard of it, but hadn't read it. I was hoping it was something we could bond over. I'm so sorry to hear the author/illustrator is sick. What a note to leave the story on. Based on last week's review I think I can guess who or what tragedy happens.
    Hope you're okay! It's almost like they're your family now, isn't it?

    Heather


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails