Rummanah Aasi
Waiting on Wednesday is a meme hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine! This week I'm eagerly awaiting the release of two books: Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier and And I Darken by Kiersten White. Even though both books are released in quite a few months, they were too good to pass up. 



Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier 
Publish date: September 13, 2016
Publisher: Scholastic


 I've thoroughly enjoyed Raina Telgemeier's graphic novels. Her stories are always heart warming, funny, and smart. I ordered her graphic novels for my high school library and was a bit worried the students would think it was a "kids" book. Fortunately, they are a big hit and always checked out!

Catrina and her family are moving to the coast of Northern California because her little sister, Maya, is sick. Cat isn't happy about leaving her friends for Bahía de la Luna, but Maya has cystic fibrosis and will benefit from the cool, salty air that blows in from the sea. As the girls explore their new home, a neighbor lets them in on a secret: There are ghosts in Bahía de la Luna. Maya is determined to meet one, but Cat wants nothing to do with them. As the time of year when ghosts reunite with their loved ones approaches, Cat must figure out how to put aside her fears for her sister's sake -- and her own.




And I Darken by Kiersten White 
Publish date: June 28, 2016
Publisher: Delacorte Press

 Besides the author, what really caught my eye with And I Darken is its unique setting of the Ottoman Empire and a potentially female villain.

NO ONE EXPECTS A PRINCESS TO BE BRUTAL. And Lada Dragwlya likes it that way. Ever since she and her gentle younger brother, Radu, were wrenched from their homeland of Wallachia and abandoned by their father to be raised in the Ottoman courts, Lada has known that being ruthless is the key to survival. She and Radu are doomed to act as pawns in a vicious game, an unseen sword hovering over their every move. For the lineage that makes them special also makes them targets.

Lada despises the Ottomans and bides her time, planning her vengeance for the day when she can return to Wallachia and claim her birthright. Radu longs only for a place where he feels safe. And when they meet Mehmed, the defiant and lonely son of the sultan, who’s expected to rule a nation, Radu feels that he’s made a true friend—and Lada wonders if she’s finally found someone worthy of her passion.

But Mehmed is heir to the very empire that Lada has sworn to fight against—and that Radu now considers home. Together, Lada, Radu, and Mehmed form a toxic triangle that strains the bonds of love and loyalty to the breaking point.
5 Responses
  1. And I Darken sounds interesting. I love Kiersten White's book, but I didn't know she was releasing another one this year.

    My WoW post.


  2. Jenny Says:

    AND I DARKEN RUMMANAH!!! So very, very excited for that one. And a little nervous since a toxic triangle is mentioned, but it sounds at least like it's not going to be Lada deciding between two guys. It sounds more interesting than that with her brother and his feelings for Mehmed in the mix.


  3. Aylee Says:

    I haven't been a fan of Kiersten White's books in the past, honestly... But I would for sure be willing to give her writing a second chance when it comes with that premise! And this is the first I'm hearing of the first author's graphic novels, admittedly. I'm pretty sure I would think it was meant for a younger age too! I'll have to keep an eye out for her novels at my library now to try.


  4. Oh man! I so need And I Darken! I so need to read all her works. Great picks!


  5. Kindlemom Says:

    These both look fun! I've seen the White book on Netgalley and it really does look good!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails