Rummanah Aasi
   2022 was my best year in terms of reading. I read 292 books, the highest ever since blogging and tracking down the number of books I read in a year, and most of them were actually published in 2022. 2022 was also my worst year of blogging. My blogging slump continued. Switching jobs, taking on more responsibilities at home, and feeling overwhelmed were just some of the reasons why I lacked motivation to blog. I hope to change the blogging slump in the new year. Though 2022 is in the rear-view mirror when this post goes live, I wanted to share my favorite books of 2022 with you.  

Adult Reads

The Hacienda by Isabel Cañas: I was completely mesmerized by this Gothic historical horror debut. With an homage to Daphne Du Maurier and Shirley Jackson, Cañas has written an enthralling, multilayered story that addresses the horrors of colonialism, racism, and socioeconomic classism along with different forms of power and privilege. The writing is exquisite and I still think about it long after finishing it.

True Biz by Sara Nović: An insightful, memorable, and moving coming-of-age story that discusses the discrimination against and within the Deaf community from multiple perspectives.

Night of the Living Rez by Morgan Talty: I was absolutely captivated by these twelve interconnected short stories that follow the challenges that a young Native American in contemporary America faces, such as drug addiction, mental illness, and economic insecurity. The stories range from humorous and tender to grim and heartbreaking.

Black Cake by Charmaine Wilkerson:richly detailed family saga that stretches from the 1960's Caribbean to today's Southern California. Like the dessert, this story has many ingredients and layers as it uncovers the secrets and choices of a mother and their impact on her children and their identities.

Siren Queen by Nghi Vo: I was absolutely mesmerized by this historical fantasy which unveils the ugly side of the 1930's Hollywood golden years and is loosely based on the life of Anna May Wong, the first Chinese American actress. I loved the main protagonist, Luli, and witnessing her awakening to her own power.

A Caribbean Heiress in Paris by Adriana Herrera: I stayed up way too late finishing this delightful and steamy read. I'm so happy to see diverse historical romance (more please!). Luz Alana and Evan's chemistry sizzles and pops. I can't wait to read more from this series. Highly recommended for fans of Sarah Maclean.

More Than You'll Ever Know by Katie Guiterrez: I often find thrillers have the same cookie-cutter plot, but I was pleasantly surprised by this twisty, fast-paced psychological suspense novel that not only explores our fascination with true crime and the role of women in it, but also the complexities of marriage and motherhood.

Go Back to Where You Come From by Wajahat Ali: I really had a hard time putting down this passionate and insightful memoir that isn't afraid to tackle the tough topics of Islamophobia, racism, and xenophobia while also being hopeful and hilarious. Check it out if you enjoy the humor of Trevor Noah and Hasan Minhaj.

Finding Me by Viola Davis: A heart-wrenching, raw, candid, yet uplifting book about how Viola Davis found her voice and ultimately herself through the pain and the trauma of her childhood. The audiobook, read by Voila Davis, is excellent.

You Sound Like a White Girl by Julissa Arce: I was utterly captivated by Arce's personal essays that dismantle the myth of assimilation as a pathway to belonging and success for people of color, while arguing that people of color should embrace their culture without any restrictions.


YA Reads




The Weight of Blood by Tiffany D. Jackson: Besides being an engaging retelling of Carrie, it addresses all common excuses for systemic racism and demonstrates how toxic tradition can be. I actually liked this retelling more than the original novel. I had a hard time putting this book down.

All My Rage by Sabaa Tahir: Tahir's contemporary novel had my heart gripped in a vise with its complex emotions, messy characters, and the endless search for hope for the future. Memorable and heart-wrenching. Noor and Salahudin will stay with me for a very long time.

Lawless Spaces by Corey Ann Haydu: This novel in verse is candid, powerful, raw, and thought provoking. It takes a close look at toxic familial legacies and women’s experiences with stereotyping and internalizing their self-worth through the male gaze. I found the idea of writing letters and journals to themselves as a way to process their thoughts to be very interesting.

The Sunbearer Trials by Aiden Thomas: I love how being queer is normal in Thomas’s Mexican-inspired fantasy world. With captivating world building, earnest friendships, and electrifying adventure, this book had me completely hooked. This is a perfect choice for readers who love Percy Jackson, The Hunger Games, and My Hero Academia.

A Magic Steeped in Poison by Judy I. Lin: This is one of the best fantasy books that I've read this year. It's fast paced, has a really unique magic system based on tea and court intrigue, but is also infused with Chinese mythology. The central mystery had me turning the pages quickly.

Lulu and Milagro's Search for Clarity by Angela Velez: A funny, heartfelt story filled with unique and unforgettable characters, the strength of sisterhood and family, and a love for STEM and the arts. I love how both Lulu and Milagro go on their individual self-discovery journeys and explore their plans for life after high school.

Love Radio by Ebony LaDelle: A love letter to Detroit and a celebration of Black joy and love in many forms: self, platonic, family, romantic, and community. This book left me with a huge grin on my face and a warm heart in my chest. Prince and Dani are wonderful characters and a great couple to root for.

Ace of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé: An intense thriller that captivated me right from the first page. There are plenty of books out there that feature Black characters with a thriller/horror vibe that automatically get a comparison to Jordan Peele's debut film "Get Out". While the comparison often falls flat, Ace of Spades has legitimate "Get Out" vibes that are chilling, real, strong, and frankly disturbing.

Graphic Novels


Miss Quinces by Kat Fajardo: 
I loved how this middle grade graphic novel shows how to celebrate your culture and who you are without any shame. A must read for fans of Raina Telegeimer and Lucy Knisley.

Invisible by Christina Diaz Gonzalez: I love this reverse Breakfast Club middle grade graphic novel that it told both in Spanish and in English. The authors were able to show that rules aren't always right, teachers can make mistakes and stereotype kids, and kindness always wins!

Victory. Stand! by Dr. Tommie Smith: In this National Book Award finalist and stunning graphic memoir, Gold medalist Dr. Smith teams up with award-winning creators Barnes and Anyabwile to vividly recount his life and the road that led up to the memorable Olympic 1968 protest. This is a powerful celebration of activism and resistance.

M is for Monster by Talia Dutton: I thoroughly enjoyed this debut science fiction graphic novel, which is inspired by Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. While using the classic novel as its framework, it skillfully explores grief, sisterhood, and carving out an identity with an inclusive cast.

Huda F Are You? by Huda Fahmy: With possibly the greatest title ever, this hilarious, heartfelt graphic novel explores identity, self-awareness, and all of the complexities of wanting to belong in a way that is universal. An absolute delight.

Swim Team by Johnnie Christmas: A children's graphic novel. I love how Bree overcomes her fear of swimming, makes friends, and learns the importance of teamwork.

Castaways by Laura Pérez Granell: I really enjoyed this adult, slice-of-life graphic novel that chronicles the cycle of a romantic relationship set in Madrid, Spain. It is a quiet, poignant, and reflective graphic novel about loneliness, longing, and missed opportunities, told in two different timelines.

What's Home, Mum? by Sabba Khan: This is my favorite graphic memoir of this year. Khan creates an intimate, introspective story about her experiences, faith, and family in the South Asian diaspora community of East London. Her questions of belonging and claiming your home as an immigrant really hit home for me.

Himawari House by Harmony Becker: Himawari House is a slice-of-life graphic novel that I absolutely adored. If you love stories that are character-driven, about self-discovery and friendship, then I highly recommend picking up this wonderful graphic novel.

Heartstopper, Vol. 4 by Alice Oseman: I absolutely adore the Heartstopper series, but this volume is my favorite thus far. Nick and Charlie learn to communicate openly with each other, learn what it means to be an ally, and accept that seeking help does not make you less of a person.


Children/Middle Grade Reads


The Language of Seabirds by Will Taylor: I thought this book was a beautiful story of two boys who develop a friendship (and possibly more) and their own secret language of seabirds to describe their big feelings.

The Marvellers by Dhonielle Clayton: A rich and whimsical world building with a fascinating magic school with a slow burn plot. I really liked how this book addressed prejudice without being heavy handed. Hand this to anyone who wanted to be seen in the HP series. 

Nura and the Immortal Palace by M.T. Khan: I really enjoyed this action-packed fantasy that takes place in a fictional city in Pakistan. I really appreciated that it does not shy away from some serious real-life issues too.

Sofia Acosta Makes a Scene by Emma Otheguy: I could relate to Sofia on so many levels, and I empathized with her trying to meet her parents' expectations. I cheered when she was able to find her own path and her own voice, while learning how one person can make a big difference.

In the Beautiful Country by Jane Kuo: I love that this novel in verse gave me a lot to think about. Can something be beautiful and ugly at the same time?

Golden Girl by Reem Faruqi: I loved Aafiyah: even though she is not perfect and makes mistakes, she has good intentions. This is a story about family, friendship, change, and hope.

Dream, Annnie, Dream by Wakka T. Brown: I rooted for Annie right from the start. I loved how she navigated the highs and lows of middle school and friendship and never gave up on her dreams, despite other people's bigotry.

Sir Callie and the Champions of Helston by Esme Symes-Smith: I rooted for Callie and their friends who tried to fight back against the rigid gender binaries and roles in their kingdom. I can't wait to see what further adventures await!


Honorable Mentions


Adult Reads

Being Seen: One Deafblind Woman's Fight to End Ableism by Elsa Sjunneson

Last Summer on State Street by Toya Wolfe

Fiona and Jane by Jean Chen Ho

The Matchmaker's Gift by Lynda Cohen Loigman
Mademoiselle Revolution by Zoe Sivak

Kamila Knows Best by Farah Heron

The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by SanguMandanna

A Lady's Guide to Fortune-Hunting by Sophie Irwin

Love & Other Disasters by Anita Kelly

A Brush with Love by Mazey Eddings

Part of Your World by Abby Jimenez

Weather Girl by Rachel Lynn Solomon

Luck and Last Resorts by Sarah Grunder Ruiz

Sadie on a Plate by Amanda by Elliot

Solito: A Memoir by Javier Zamora

The Stardust Thief by Chelsea Abdullah

Daughter of the Moon Goddess by Sue Lynn Tan

Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn

The Verifiers by Jane Pek

Jackal by Erin E. Adams


Under Lock & Skeleton Key by Gigi Pandian

What Moves the Dead by T. Kingfisher

YA Reads


Revolution in Our Time: The Black Panther Party's Promise to the Peopleby Kekla Magoon

One for All by Lillie Lainoff

This Woven Kingdom by Tahreh Mafi

Private Label by Kelly Yang

See You Yesterday by Rachel Lynn Solomon

The Do-Over by Lynn Painter

Azar on Fire by Olivia Abtahi

Ain't Burned All the Bright by Jason Reynolds

Flirting with Fate by Jennifer Cervantes

Never Getting Back Together by Sophia Gonzalez

I'm the Girl by Courntey Summers

As Long As the Lemon Tree Grows by Zoulfa Katouh 

Childrens/MG Reads

Shad Hadid and the Alchemists of Alexandria by George Jreije

One Wish by M.O. Yuksel

Wink by Rob Harrell

Scritch Scratch by Lindsay Currie


Graphic Novels

Frizzy by Claribel Ortega

Over My Dead Body by Sweeney Boo

The Tryout by Christina Soontornvat

Wingsbearer by Majorie Liu

Sort of Super by Eric Gapstur

Crumbs by Danie Stirling

Magical Boy Vol 1 by The Kao

Chef's Kiss by Jarrett Melendez

Squire by Nadia Shammas

The Devil's Music (Montague Twins #2) by Nathan Page
3 Responses
  1. I didn't like Lawless Spaces at all. I was so irritated by how long it was. I can still get irritated just thinking about it. Do students check it out? I wonder at their responses to it.


  2. I did like Golden Girl and In the Beautiful Country, however.


  3. I hope you get your blogging mojo back as I enjoy reading your reviews. :-) I also enjoyed Black Cake, True Biz, and Ace of Spades. In January I will read a bunch of your favorite graphic novels as a finalist judge for the CYBILS.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails