Rummanah Aasi


  Since I graduated from college, I wanted to get back to reading classics. So when I came across this challenge that combines both classics as well as the Victorian period, which happens to be my favorite literary periods, I knew I had to join. This challenge first caught my eye on my fellow blogger friend Book Quoter's blog and I knew I had to learn more. The Victorian Literature Challenge 2011 is hosted by Bethany at Words, Words, Words. This challenge will be my sixth and final challenge for 2011.

Here is what you need to know for this challenge: 

1. This challenge will run from 01 Jan 2011 - 31 Dec 2011. Participants can sign up at any time throughout the year.

2. Read your Victorian literature:  Queen Victoria reigned from 1837-1901. If your book wasn't published during those particular years, but is by an author considered 'Victorian' then go for it. We're here for reading, not historical facts! Also, this can include works by authors from other countries, so long as they are from this period.

3.  Literature comes in many forms: There are so many Victorian reads out there, including novels, short stories, and poetry. One poem doesn't count as a 'book': pick up an anthology instead!

4.  Choose your books:  List your books before you begin, or pick up titles along the way. It's up to you! You can review them if you choose to, but it's not necessary. If you don't have a blog, that's fine! Link to a Facebook, or a page somewhere where you can list what you've been reading. If you can't link up, no problem - feel free to just comment and enjoy.

5. Spread the love:  Post the reading challenge on your blog - make your own post(s), or stick the button on the side of your page. The more the merrier, after all. Let's build a big community of Victorian literature lovers!

6. Choose from one of the four levels:

Sense and Sensibility: 1-4 books.

Great Expectations: 5-9 books.

Hard Times: 10-14 books.

Desperate Remedies: 15+ books.

7. Sign up, and enjoy!

You can sign up for this challenge here.

 Since this challenge is the one that frightens me the most, I'm going to shoot for the Great Expectations level: 5-9 books. Victorian novels tend to run really long, mostly because the authors were payed by the number of words they've written, but regardless I hope to revisit some of my favorite Victorian writers such as Thomas Hardy, the Bronte sisters, and Elizabeth Gaskell as well as discover new writers too. I haven't created my list yet, but I will post them here.

Books Read for the Victorian Literature Challenge 2011


  1. Silas Marner by George Eliot
  2. Villette by Charlotte Bronte
  3. Dracula by Bram Stoker
  4. Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
  5. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
3 Responses
  1. MZMollyTL Says:

    Woma! How many challenges are you going to sign up for? Your eyes are going to be so tired! Maybe you'll have to combine things and read a South Asian author who has published during the Victorian era!


  2. Bethany Says:

    Thanks for signing up! What Hardy are you going to read? I'm so excited about this!


  3. @Macphail: LOL, this is my last one. I'll definitely try to combine things.

    @Bethany: I'm planning to read "Jude, the Obscure" and "Far From Maddening Crowd". I already read "Return to the Native" and "Tess".


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails