Rummanah Aasi
I really hope this review posts. Blogger has been glitchy for a few hours last night. I've received many recommendations to start Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega series. This new series is set in the same world as her Mercy Thompson's world but it focuses on different, secondary characters with rules of its own. I finished and really enjoyed the first book, Cry Wolf.

Description: Anna never knew werewolves existed, until the night she survived a violent attack... and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she'd learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. Then Charles Cornick, the enforcer- and son- of the leader of the North American werewolves, came into her life.
   Charles insists that not only is Anna his mate, but she is also a rare and valued Omega wolf. And it is Anna's inner strength and calming presence that will prove invaluable as she and Charles go on the hunt in search of a rogue werewolf- a creature bound in magic so dark that it could threaten all of the pack.


Review: Cry Wolf continues the story found in the anthology On the Prowl, where we are introduced to Anna, a reluctant and new member of the Chicago Pack werewolves. Three years ago, she was turned against her will and since then went through emotional, physical and sexual abuse by her Pack. The purpose of the abuse, which thankfully wasn't shown but discussed briefly, was to 'break' Anna and make her submissive around dominant wolves. Anna is unlike many wolfs in the sense that she has a special ranking as an Omega, which means she is protective and brings peace to a pack with her natural ability to soothe the animal part of the werewolf. She has been made to believe that she is weak, but in reality she's fierce, strong willed, and incredibly determined to move beyond her brutal past. 
  When Charles Cornick, the enforcer and son of the Marrok (the leader of the North American Werewolves) and brother of Samuel, comes to Chicago to investigate the issue, he has an immediate attraction to Anna. Anna's and Charles' wolf counterparts pretty soon see each other as "mated". The human counterparts however, want to take their relationship slow, which is where Cry Wolf begins. Anna goes back to the Marrok's territory in Montana with Charles and tries to find her place in her new life, a chance to start over again on a relatively clean slate. In the mean time there's a rogue werewolf on the loose that is causing danger and needs to be dealt with.
 I really enjoyed Cry Wolf because the book's focal point is more on the character development and relationship between Anna and Charles which differs from the Mercy Thompson novels, where action and paranormal politics take center stage. With Cry Wolf, I follow the happenings of the other, secondary characters that are vital to Mercy's world but make a brief appearance such as the Marrok and Charles, who really come to life in this book.
     The love story was very well done. Though they are mated according to their wolves, Anna and Charles are at the beginning of their relationship, where they are learning things about one another and trying to become comfortable with having another person in their lives. There is lots of awkwardness, tension, misinterpretation of feelings going on between them. The distance between the characters isn't your typical hate/love relationship or the annoying "does he/she like me now? what am I doing wrong" running inner dialogue that cause a reader to groan, but rather a plausible conflict as each character have built defensive walls around themselves that will take time to break.
   Charles has been employed as his father's assassin for over 150 years. He is a not the first person you would think of if you're having a rough day. He is not good with words and keeps his distance. It's not that he doesn't like people or isn't personable, but he simply afraid to be close to anyone in fear that he'll have to harm them if they step out of the pack's rules. Being in a new, solid relationship is very foreign to him. Though he physically appears to be intimidating, he is incredibly patient, gentle and sweet with Anna. Similarly, Anna's walls are built from fear which makes sense given the horrors that she has experienced. She has to learn all over again to trust her instincts and needs time to rebuilt her trust, though she shares mutual attraction to Charles. Though the characters make strides in their relationship, there is still a lot of development needed. There is no doubt that my favorite parts of the book are when we see Charles and Anna spend time together, whether it's through dialogue or just being together. I think they both compliment each other very well.
    The mystery surrounding the rogue werewolf wasn't very action packed and unfolded leisurely. I wasn't bored with it, but I also thought it was more like a subplot of the book. I know that the mystery aspect is considered the weakest part of the book, but honestly, I was more interested in reading about the relationship amongst the characters to take notice. I liked meeting new characters and learning a bit more about background information on the Marrok, a character that I always found to be enigmatic.
  Briggs' writing style is simple, straightforward, but also has the right touch of emotions. You get a chance to tag along the characters, get to know them on a personal level without ever being intrusive. The paranormal and human aspect to the characters are balanced, which makes them very appealing.
   As a side note, I don't know if you should read the Mercy Thompson books before starting this series, as they both stand alone, however, I felt very comfortable in jumping on one to the other with having knowledge of the Mercy universe already established. I did pick up on the hints of what's happening outside of Montana. Overall, I really enjoyed this first book and I plan on reading the rest of the series. 

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: There is some strong language, violence, and a brief non explicit sex scene that fades to black. Recommended for older teens and adults only.

If you like this book try: Hunting Ground (Alpha and Omega #2) by Patricia Briggs, Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, Skinwalker by Faith Hunter, Chicagoland Vampire series by Chloe Neil
6 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    LOl- oh my gosh I read this a few years ago and remember loving it...:D Great review Rummanah.


  2. Jenny Says:

    YAY RUMMANAH!!! So glad you're enjoying Anna and Charles, I absolutely adore them. I love that this series is a little more relationship-centric than the Mercy series as well, and all the tension thrumming between Anna and Charles is completely addicting I think. Really looking forward to more with them!


  3. Hopefully Blogger isn't as glitchy for you. I have problems commenting on a couple of blogs so I know there has been issues. I, too, am wanting to read this series since I read all of Mercy Thompson and loved it. It suprises me a bit that you weren't as excited about the mystery as much as the character. At least it was a good solod read. I am anxious to try it as well.


  4. Fade to black sex scenes? Noooo! LOL

    Just kidding. It is necessary to read On the Prowl before Cry Wolf? I think I could really like Anna. Sure she reminds me of Merit with the whole turned against her will thing, but unlike Merit, she really does have something to be angry about because of her past and the abuse she has suffered.


  5. I so want to read this one. I have it on my tbr. I loved the short in On the Prowl! I'm also behind on my Mercy series. I love that one. Oh you so need to read that one as well.

    I can't wait to dive into this one!


  6. Rubita Says:

    "The distance between the characters isn't your typical hate/love relationship or the annoying "does he/she like me now? what am I doing wrong" running inner dialogue that cause a reader to groan, but rather a plausible conflict as each character have built defensive walls around themselves that will take time to break."

    THIS.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails