Rummanah Aasi
  The Mercy Thompson series is my second urban fantasy series that I have read this year. Although I enjoyed the first book in the series, Moon Called, I thought its pace was a bit too slow for me. Since I loved the characters, I was willing to read Blood Bound, the second book and hoped that things pick up. I was advised by friends of mine that this series starts a little bit slow but quickly picks up. They were right.

Description: Mercy Thompson is a mechanic and walker, she has the ability to turn into a coyote at will. She has friends who happen to be werewolves, vampires, and the fae, which can be both a good and a bad thing. Well, at the rate that Mercy's going, it's more of a bad thing. When a sorcerer-turned-vampire wreaks havoc and goes on a killing spree in Washington's Tri-Cities, the paranormal community attempts to stop the destruction and fails. Mercy, who will do anything for her friends and to save the innocent, finds herself pulled into the fray. It turns out that her unique abilities make her an excellent candidate in taking out the new evil in town, but can she save them all? 

Review: Blood Bound picks up right where Moon Called finished. Although this book is a stand alone, I think readers should read Moon Called first to get a better handling on the various characters and their communities in Mercy's world. That being said, Blood Bound finds Mercy's vampire friend Stefan calling on her to fulfill one of her favors from Moon Called. Stefan need's Mercy's help in bringing down the sorcerer turned vampire down. From here the narrative involves the various paranormal communities and their politics and their plans to stop this evil.
  What I love about this series is that Briggs allows her readers to get involved in the paranormal politics. Even though there are definite tensions amongst werewolves, vampires, and the fae, they all get together to fight a common evil that threatens the shaky peace they have with humans. Another thing that I absolutely love about this series is that characters from both genders are equally powerful and strong in their own way and refreshingly come from diverse backgrounds. For example, Mercy is half Native American, which makes her more interesting and appealing.
   Mercy is once again an excellent, strong female heroine who is constantly struggling to keep her own stands in midst of the alpha males around her. She refuses to back down when she is faced with a challenge. Finally there is a series where a woman saves the day instead of a man. Mercy is resourceful and smart. Although there is romantic tension between two central alpha male characters, I am thankful that Briggs does not dumb down Mercy nor her story so that she can be with one of the heroes.
   If you enjoy a good paranormal tale with a plethora of paranormal creatures and a combination of mystery and suspense, then this is the series for you. Briggs characters truly make the book come alive and
fosters my desire to continue the series.

Rating: 4 stars

Words of Caution: There is language and some strong violence. Although it is marketed to adults, I think teens will be interested in this series.

If you like this book try: Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson #3), Magic Bites and Magic Burns by Iona Andrews, Fray by Joss Whedon, or Paranormalcy by Kristen White
3 Responses
  1. Nat Says:

    I like the paranormal politics too, and I love a strong heroine. Glad you're liking this series!!


  2. Kayla + Cyna Says:

    It's always interesting to see different people's take on Mercy. I'm a fan of hers in theory, but in practice, her inactivity and series character arc gets to me. Like you said, in Blood Bound, sure, she saves the day (ish), but spends the entire first half of the book letting the guys sideline her, and then in the last half she goes and "botches" her last confrontation with Andre, so much so that Stefan has to come in and cover up for her. So, I dunno, this 'saving the day' achievement was kind of a wash for me.

    Although there is romantic tension between two central alpha male characters, I am thankful that Briggs does not dumb down Mercy nor her story so that she can be with one of the heroes.
    Haha, ust wait for Iron Kissed - the love triangle resolution is so damn arbitrary.

    We took on Blood Bound over at our blog, we'd love to see what you have to say to our perspective :)


  3. @Kelli: Thanks! I hope you check it out.

    @K+C: I can see where you're coming from, but I think Mercy knew her own limitations and deep down the guys were right (but it still annoyed her). As for the triangle, I can't wait to see how it goes. I'm having a really hard time choosing!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails