Rummanah Aasi
   My last post on movie news was back in September of this year. Since then there are numerous upcoming movies that have my caught my eye. All of the movies below are book adaptations, which can be a good or bad thing, depending on who is the director and the cast selected. Nonetheless these films seem impressive and I might give them a shot.


First up, we have another adaptation of Charlotte Bronte's masterpiece Jane Eyre. It stars Mia Wasikowska (Jane), Michael Fassbender (Rochester) and Madame Judi Dench (Mrs. Fairfax). I really liked Mia Wasikowska in Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland and I think she'll make a great Jane. Jane Eyre is directed by Cary Fukunaga and the screenplay is written by Moira Buffini. The movie is rated PG-13 and will be in theaters in March 2011. As you watch the trailer, notice how the movie has more of a gothic, dark tone to it which I think is unique amongst its many adaptations:


    Second up is Adjustment Bureau, which is a movie that is loosely adapting Philip K. Dick's short story, Adjustment Team. When it comes to classic science fiction writers like Dick, sometimes I prefer watching a movie adaptation first and then reading the original in order to get a better grasp of the material. Adjustment Bureau stars Matt Damon (David Norris) and Emily Blunt (Elise Sellas). The director and screenplay writer is George Nolfi, who did one of the Bourne movies. Not only do I love both of these actors, I also love the director too. This should be a pretty good movie. It is rated PG-13 and is coming September 2011. Here is a brief synopsis of the movie: "The affair between a politician and a ballerina is affected by mysterious forces keeping the lovers apart." Source: Internet Movie Database. Check out the trailer below:
       


      Third up is an interesting adaptation of William Shakespeare's play The Tempest. The Tempest is one of the few Shakespeare plays that I have not read. Looks like I have to fix that for next year. The Tempest stars Helen Mirren (Prospera), Russell Brand (Trinculo), Djimon Hounsou (Caliban), and a whole slew of other actors. I never thought I would see a movie that starred Helen Mirren and Russell Brand together, but I guess it works. I think it's pretty interesting that the male lead, Prospero, was changed into Prospera, a woman. The movie is directed and written by Julie Taymor. The Tempest is going to be released December 10, 2010 and it is rated PG-13. See the trailer below:


      Fourth is a film adaptation of famous Grimm Fairy Tale The Little Red Riding Hood called Red Riding Hood. The film is set in a medieval village that is haunted by a werewolf and a young girl falls for an orphaned woodcutter, who her family dislikes. The movie stars: Amanda Seyfried (Valerie aka Red Riding Hood), Lukas Haas and Gary Oldman. Wow, I haven't seen Lukas Haas in a movie for a really long time! The movie is directed by Catherine Hardwicke and written by David Johnson. I have to admit that this one made me ponder. I don't care for Catherine Hardwicke's directing, especially after her atrocious Twilight adaptation (seriously, the whole movie is blue!), but I'm glad she is no longer directing Gayle Forman's fabulous novel If I Stay. Despite my own opinions, I think some of you might be interested so I added it to this list. The movie is slated to release March 2011 and it has not been rated. Check out the trailer and let me know what you think:

       

       Last but not least, I'm really hoping there is going to be a Baz Lurhmann adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. There has been lots of talk that the movie will star Leonardo DiCaprio and Carey Mulligan. I think Baz Lurhman is an innovative director who gives a fascinating spin on a lot of stories. i absolutely loved how he handled "Romeo and Juliet". I can watch that movie over and over again and will always find something new. Needless to say that I have watched and enjoyed all of his movies. There's no official word from Lurhmann, but it looks like things are headed in that direction. *Crosses fingers* 
      4 Responses
      1. Unknown Says:

        That Jane Eyre looks intense. I've watched the trailer for red riding hood a hundred times already. Can't wait!


      2. Kelly A. Says:

        It's been a long time since I've read Jane Eyre, so I'm not sure if I remember it being that exciting looking!

        As for the Red Riding Hood movie...I personally think it looks awful. With all that sex just in the trailer I can't even imagine what the movie will entail. Still hard to think that's a kid's story.


      3. Jenny Says:

        Red Riding Hood looks absolutely amazing. I think that trailer is gorgeous and I will definitely be in line waiting for that one! And her cape! I can't say as I've ever really wanted to wear a cape, but now I do:) Thanks for sharing these Rummanah!


      4. @Meghan: I have to admit that the trailer for "Red Riding Hood" does look pretty good.

        @Kelly A.: I thought the same thing. This looks really promising. Let's hope for the best!

        @Jenny: I always wanted a cape or a cape/coat that was popular in the medieval/Victorian time. :) It was my pleasure in sharing this with you.


      Post a Comment

      Related Posts with Thumbnails