Rummanah Aasi
  I read a lot of paranormal fiction. Up until now I've read 19 titles that fall under the paranormal umbrella. Some of the titles I loved, while others were okay. I just finished number 20, Paranormalcy by Kiersten White and it definitely falls under the "I loved" category. It's surprisingly refreshing in the sea of paranormal books and I enjoyed every moment of it.


Description: Evie is a pretty normal sixteen year old. She's had her share of a bad boyfriend, who just so happens to be a faerie and wants her soul. She has a best friend named Alisha, who is a mermaid. It doesn't matter that she lives and works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, or that she is the only one on the planet who can see through a paranormals' glamour. Nothing strange about that. What's weird is that Evie keeps hearing a prophecy in her sleep that doesn't make sense to her and falls for a guy who seems to be some kind of shape shifter who thinks she's responsible for the recent deaths of paranormals everywhere. So much for normal, eh?

Review: I adored Paranormalcy right from the first page. Evie is an awesome character who is sassy, smart, brave, incredibly funny, yet at the same time vulnerable and insecure. Her voice and personality reminded me of Buffy, a girl who is given a huge responsibility and has no clue how to solve it by herself. I absolutely loved Evie's obsession with being normal. Here's a character who actually wants to go to high school and can't wait for all the teen drama. Can you believe it?!
  The pacing is quick and the plot had lots of twists and turns that I didn't see coming. Just when I thought this book would be about the underbelly of the International Paranormal Containment Agency (which it kinda is, but the not the sole focus) in comes a mysterious, riddle-like prophecy that had me guessing right along with Evie.
  What I love most about Paranormalcy besides its humor (which is fantastic), is that it never really takes itself seriously. For once there is a paranormal romance book without a brooding male lead. I like a brooding male lead, but after reading book after book with the same cookie cutter type it gets boring and easily predictable. Don't worry, the male romantic lead is definitely swoon worthy. I'm sure that you'll love him just as much as I did. He is for sure on my list of crush worthy characters and I would be surprised if he didn't end up on yours.
   In Paranormalcy, you will find your ordinary vampires, werewolves, and the fey, but you will also discover an unique paranormal. I won't elaborate on this because it'll give too much of the story away, but I thought it was very creative. I'm glad that Paranormalcy will be a trilogy (Yes, I did say that) because I loved the characters so much and wanted to know more. I can't wait until Supernatually, the sequel, will be released this coming fall.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Words of Caution: None. This book is squeaky clean. Good enough for 12 yrs old and above.

If you like this book try: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain, Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston, Supernatually by Kiersten White (coming Fall 2011)
6 Responses
  1. Jenni Elyse Says:

    I bought this about a month ago. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'm glad to see you gave it 4.5 stars. That means I'm sure to like it. :)


  2. Oh, cool; this is on my to-read list, but I've definitely been burned by paranormal in the past. So it's good to see your review!


  3. Jenny Says:

    YAY! So glad you liked this one! I was laughing so hard when she wanted to go to high school and see what lockers were all about:) I absolutely agree with you on Lend, I found his anti-brooding behavior refreshing:) Fabulous review Rummanah, you and I are both waiting for the sequel!


  4. @Jenni: It's a fun read. I'm sure you'll like it!

    @Hallie: I know what you mean, but this book avoids the brooding male lead and for once there's no love triangle!

    @Jenny: LOL! I loved that part, Jenny. I also loved how she thought her teen drama was "normal" and waiting things to happen at school.


  5. Nat Says:

    I agree! I enjoyed this one too. It was so fresh and light.


  6. Unknown Says:

    Right on! I don't mind angst in my paranormals, but it was so refreshing that Lend wasn't bemoaning his existence. He wasn't even especially tortured!


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails