Rummanah Aasi





  Welcome to the first week of Tempting Tuesday, where we discuss Some Girls Bite, the first book in Chloe Neil's awesome series Chicagoland Vampires. Today we will talk about the first four chapters of the book. The discussion questions were provided by Jenny at Supernatural Snark.


DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR CHAPTERS 1-4 


  Let’s say tomorrow a “vampire manifesto” as Merit calls it runs in newspapers across the country announcing their existence. How do you think you would react? If you were hesitant to believe initially, what would it take to convince you they were real?



   I've read many paranormal books featuring vampires and have always thought of them as fictitious creatures so in reality, I would be skeptical until I actually found proof like people with bites on their neck, see real fangs in the mouth, etc. Although how awesome would it be to see your favorite vampire walking around?


  Since being turned into a vampire means complete removal from your former life and a new job serving your House in some capacity, what do you think you would miss most about the life you live now?


  My freedom and my family. I want to have my options open and make my own decisions. Limits as to how I can live my life is constraining and makes me feel like I'm living in a cage and not seeing my family at anytime of the day stinks.

  What are your first impressions of Merit and how she’s handling all the changes in her life?


I really like Merit. She's smart and has a great sense of humor. She's definitely a character that I would love to hang out with. Losing control on your life is what really scares me and I can really relate to all the emotions that Merit is feeling now. Given the severity of her situation, I think she's handling it well. I understand that she was changed in a life and death situation but its still wrong. I've read lots of reviews that said that Merit was too whiny in the book and she should get over her change, but I don't think that's very easy to do. She has absolutely no interest in vampires and being turned at all. She made her own plans in life but what happened to her threw a wrench into that future and now she has to start from scratch.



  When you first read the description of Ethan, what actor/model/person you know pops into your head as the perfect embodiment of him? Feel free to include pictures ;-)



I'm horrible when it comes to visualizing a real life actor/model/person with some characters. Some characters are easy to do while others are impossible. I don't have one specific person for Ethan, but Travis Fimmel, from the short lived tv show called The Beast, is pretty close as to how I picture him in my head. Although Charlie Hunnam from Sons of Anarchy is also a great choice too.



Do you think Merit’s anger at Ethan himself, not the situation, is justified? 

 I have a hard time answering this question because I already read the other books which explained this situation a bit more clearly, however, my initial reaction is that yes she is justified. Anyway you look at the situation, he is the one responsible for her change and his outrageous demands of her quickly trying to assimilate to his lifestyle doesn't earn him any bonus points. He is infuriating, arrogant, and cold. As you begin to learn about Ethan, you realize that he doesn't do anything without working a few paces ahead. He is strategist and everything he does is for his House. If he had shown some emotion of his decision to her change her or even understanding of her roller-coaster of emotions, I wouldn't be so severe with Ethan.

   Tina at Tina's Books Reviews has the questions for next week. Tina will be covering Chapters 5-8 at her blog. Here are her questions:

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR CHAPTERS 5-8
1. In what is a make you blush, steamy scene in the book- Chapter 5 has Ethan and Merit sharing a few hot moments after Merit's hunger strikes...that is until Ethan becomes a total cad! What do you think of him so far? Strong, masterful vampire, conceited playboy.....lover boy in disguise?
   2. Merit and Mallory begin some major training in these next few chapters, resulting in cool Katana Sword facts and Ninja moves. What is the most physically challenging or adrenaline fueled event/activity you have participated in?
3. Mallory and Catcher have sparks so intense they almost fly off the page.....what do you think of this cozy couple? Did you like the insta-love between them? Do they add to the story?
4. Lets talk Bff's....Mallory is hands down a terrific friend to Merit, the girls relationship is real, down to earth and fun....not to mention hysterical. What is your favorite memory or favorite thing to do with your bff? Feel free to share pics!
5. Things are starting to heat up in the mystery department...the set up at Red, Morgan's flirty appearance.... Catchers vague answers......as correlation day gets closer for Merit do you think someone is out to get her...or maybe recruit her to another house? Or PS- feed her some more food...because goodnight this girl likes to eat!!!
14 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    Great answers!...We both would need big time proof for vampire existence...and while they are hot characters in fiction, I think they would scary for real....


  2. Jenny Says:

    Your thoughts on Ethan are super interesting Rummanah! I didn't really think of it that way (mostly because I've read all the books and understand Ethan a bit more), but I do think you're right that his initial demands on her are a bit much. While I don't think he deserves all her anger over the change itself, it would have been nice if he had given her a little more time to get used to the idea before the whole Canon and Liege situation. Though, on the flip side, I can see how he would want her to assimilate as soon as possible since she didn't ask for it so her chances of going rogue or somehow doing something to harm the Houses would be higher. I'm having so much fun with the discussions this week!


  3. OH RUMMANNAH!! We need to get you to beliVVe in the fang! For reals! Oh wow, but that Travis guy as Ethan? An inspired choice, although he looked youngish. Gorgeous though!

    I would disagree that Ethan is responsible, at least solely. His choices were let her die or change her. Mer's choice could've been to go rouge - she didn't have to sign up with Cadogan House. Regarding her emotions, he's not a counselor - he's CEO of CH, Inc. I think he did the best he could with his position in mind.


  4. I had a hard time answering the last question, too, because I've read the other books. There is so much more to the situation than it appears.


  5. Is Ethan supposed to be blonde? I can't remember. I think he is. But in my head, he has dark hair - and maybe blue eyes.


  6. Anonymous Says:

    Hmm...I don't know that I got severe from Ethan. It's my first read through the book so I have no idea what the real reasons for the change were. Ethan does strike me as a planner. But I think all those hot looks he was sharing with Merit softened my attitude toward him. Even if he didn't give sympathy I'll take lust instead ;).


  7. Prangon Says:

    OHMAHETHAN!!! You picked Travis! *faints* I can see him half naked, doing the first fight with Merit...


  8. We are pretty much on the same page except I haven't read the other books. I love Merit and I didn't find her whiny at all. I thought she handled herself very well. I'D be whiny! But I thought she was pretty brave going against the rules.

    Heather


  9. Oh yah, I didn't think Merit was whiny at all. If anything I would be freaking out even more than her, thinking about the future and the ramifications of being changed. But I think that's my personality coming out, plus coming from a situation where vampires don't exist, so those changes are so unfathomable to think about.


  10. Okay, so perhaps I've been to o severe with Merit, but I can't get over how annoyed I felt by the fact that she was annoyed that someone saved her life.

    And I haven't really read past book one, but since we weren't in Ethan's POV when he was changing her, it's hard to know what emotions he felt over the decision. He does have to lead his house the best way he knows how in order to ensure everyone survival and that probably put an incredible amount of pressure on him. I'm not trying to come to his defense because, honestly, I didn't particularly care for him, but your response made me realize that I don't begrudge him anything.


  11. SacredmOOn Says:

    I agree with what bibliophile brouhaha said..
    It's interesting reading everyone's pov's. DeAnna S.


  12. You did an excellent jop answering the questions and I don't think Merit is whiney one bit. I would hate to lose control over my life and I think she has a right to lash out Ethan. I like your pick for Ethan. On another note...don't you just love grandpa?


  13. I'd be really skeptical too if I was told that vampires were real but if they looked like the actor you picked, I'd be more open to donating some blood ;)

    I'm horrible at visualizing things as well and while I haven't read the series, I think you've picked a good person to represent Ethan.


  14. LoveOfBooks Says:

    I still don't think I'd believe if I saw fangs, unless I saw them actually grow in. There are people who have them surgically implanted, so that's what I'd assume they were.

    I have a terrible time matching characters to real people too.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails