Rummanah Aasi


  Welcome to the third week of the Some Girls Bite Read-Along! For those of you who don't know, the fabulous ladies behind Tina's Book Reviews, Superntural Snark, The Unread Reader and myself are hosting a read-along of the first book of Chloe Neill's outstanding Chicagoland Vampires urban fantasy series. Each week we'll pose and answer five questions about the book and then hop around to the other blogs who have signed up to check out everyone's answers! For all the details about the event and our grand prize giveaway, be sure and check out the introductory post HERE.

   Missie from The Unread Reader will be discussing the last section of the book so be sure to check her blog to find out next week's discussion questions. I am hosting next week and will be covering Chapters 9-12. Use the linky below to post up your answers!




Discussion Questions Chapter 9-12

 Catcher and Ethan share some personality traits. What makes Mallory, Merit, and even us readers attracted to these guys? Would you date/mate with someone like these guys in real life?


  There is something so attractive about confidence, swagger, and mystery that I think both Catcher and Ethan exude. There are so many layers to their character and personality that you want to unveil and discover. Their imperfections make them approachable and easily to relate to. Now would I date these guys if they were real, no. Life is already stressful and why would you complicate it more with a high maintenance guy? I would most likely go for Jonah who appears later in the series.

In Chapter 9 we learn of another murder. Do you see any patterns with the previous murder and Merit's attack? Do you have any guesses as to who is responsible and the motive behind the murders?


  Well since I've already read the series up to date, I already know the party who is responsible but I didn't catch the commonalities of the murderers with Merit's attack during my first read. I don't want to spoil the ending but I really don't think it's a coincidence. As for the motive, I think it's a political power struggle amongst the paranormals and humans.

The commendation is my favorite moment in the book and a significant event in Merit's life. She has finally come to terms that she is a Cadogan vampire. Were you surprised at all that Merit resisted Ethan's call and that he made her a Sentinel? Do you think she'll do well in this position? Why or why not?

I actually suspected that Merit would resist Ethan's call. There is something off about how she was changed and this issue will be addressed more closely in the second book. I was, however, really surprised that Ethan made Merit a Sentinel. When I think of Merit, I don't think guard. I actually envisioned her working more on the behind of the scene of the Cadogan House. As to her performance as a Sentinel, I think it's still a bit early to tell. She does seem to find and work with clues quite nicely. I think she definitely has potential in doing really well.

Loyalty is a reoccurring theme throughout the book and much of this series. Why is it so important to Ethan that he needs Merit's allegiance? Is it solely a Master and Sentinel thing or does it imply something else?
As a head master of a house and his many years as a vampire, it undeniable that Ethan had issues with people betraying him and of course now that Merit is a Sentinel who has sworn she defends her house and leader with her life, it is required of her but there is a part of me that thinks the loyalty goes beyond the job requirement. It sounds as if it's a challenge to Merit and to himself in what could be a blueprint of what could whatever it is between them. It does seem inevitable that something between will happen. We're just waiting to see what and when.

If you had the opportunity to sit down with Ethan, Merit, Mallory, and Catcher for a bite to eat like in the beginning of Chapter 12, what questions would you ask them at this point of the story? 

I have lots of questions for these characters so I'll just limit them to one per person:

Ethan: Of all the vamps at your disposal, why in the world did you choose Amber?

Merit: Can I borrow your katana sometime?

Mallory: Would you be willing to be my personal shopper?

Catcher: Where do you get your awesome T-shirts?
17 Responses
  1. Prangon Says:

    Hehe no one seems interested in dating either of these two in real life, so far. Yet we all swoon over them ;)
    O o o yes, Catcher where do you get your T-shirts? I do want some.


  2. Oh yeah! I'd love to know where Catcher gets his tees. For some reason, I don't see him shopping at the local Hot Topic to pick up those cool shirts.

    And I have to admit, when I first read your date/mate question last week, I couldn't stop laughing. Hilarious! You're right. High Maintenance guys are just too tough to deal with.


  3. Sounds like there is a vast ocean of secrets to uncover in upcoming books. .Yeah Amber really? I need some Catcher shirts myself :)


  4. Anonymous Says:

    I like that you think of the loyalty issue between Merit and Ethan as a personal challenge for both. It's a good way to phrase it. I think both want to make more of an issue out of loyalty than there needs to be in relation to actual House/Vampire safety.

    I just have very little faith they're not going to cross the loyalty line in one direction or another before very long...


  5. Jenny Says:

    YES! Someone please tell me what he saw in Amber. Blech. I kind of want to punch her in the face. Just a little:) And I'm with you on Jonah, he's adorable and I want more time with him!


  6. Anonymous Says:

    HAHA- stupid Amber!!!!

    I loved your number one question. High-maintenance people are annoying.....and like I said in my answer nothing is worse than a grown wimpy guy sitting on a couch with no job!!!


  7. Yes, Amber was pretty, but seemed to be an airhead. Just a trophy. Maybe that's all he thought he needed before Merit came along. He didn't want someone that talked back. I wanted to punch Amber in her pretty little face.

    Heather


  8. Yeah...really really really didn't like Amber! Did I mention really? I don't get what he saw in her. She had a nasty attitude! I want some Catcher shirts too! And if Mallory would go shopping for me, I'd be in heaven :)


  9. paragon: LOL, you're right! I'm loving everyone's answers to #1.

    Missie: *Giggles* Glad I could make you laugh. :)

    Heidi: I know! Maybe she's the last one on his list or he was getting desperate?

    Librarianreads: I don't want to spoil what happens in the future in case you do read the other books, but I will say that it definitely does get interesting between them. :)

    Jenny: I like Jonah and hope to see more of him. He just seems like a down to earth kind of a guy.

    Tina: UGH, yeah there's no way in hell I'm going to be the sole provider. Completely agree with you.

    Heather: Amber got on my nerves and apparently all of people's too. LOL!

    Stacy: I tried posting on your site but keep getting an error. :( And yes, I think he clearly just wanted someone to do his bidding. I don't think he thought too hard about it.


  10. LoveOfBooks Says:

    High maintenance... exactly! I couldn't handle men like that as part of a relationship. As a friend to drool over, sure. lol


  11. Candace Says:

    Oh I love your question to Ethan! No kidding, why Amber?!

    I hadn't thought about the fact that maybe it was a human(s) impersonating a vampire doing the murders, but after reading your answer I'm wondering if that could be the case. That's one messed up human if it is though!


  12. Chantaal Says:

    These were really great questions this week!

    I'm really enjoying the mystery and seeing what everyone will be up to as the chapters fly by.


  13. I love seeing the answers for question 5.

    I'm in total agreement, Rummanah. Mysterious guys full of swagger are awesome to read about but dating ... no way.


  14. Unknown Says:

    I love your answers. I love your question for Ethan at #5. I want to know the answer to that too. I already finished the book as well and I agree, I don't think it was a coincidence either. To be honest, that was a tad bit too easy. I am so anxious for book 2 because I feel my suspicions will be proven right :( I agree with #3, it is something more than just loyalty from both Ethan and Merit. I think will do great for sure. Awesome answers hon, thank you :)


  15. I remember being surprised that Ethan made Merit sentinel as well. I hope Ethan and Merit get together some day (I've only read the first two), but the tension and banter of their not being together is the best part.


  16. Ah the swagger. Love that too but you're right. Those are some seriously high maintenance boys.


  17. You know, it's so true, I personally would totally go for Jonah rather than Ethan and Catcher... yet there's something about Merit and Ethan that's so right.

    Ha, that is totally a good question for Ethan. Maybe he picked Amber just because of her body, like picking someone he wouldn't fall for at all on purpose.


Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails